PDA

View Full Version : Prazipro in my 20 long.

musicsmaker
03/01/2015, 01:09 PM
Background: I have had a couple fish come with skin flukes, and although I though I had them all taken care of, I noticed one on my purple firefish a few days ago. A quick search yielded several threads mentioning this product, and for $7 shipped, I decided I'd give it a try.

Today, immediately after transferring a yellow watchman into my DT, I dosed the tank with a partially filled plastic spoons-worth. That was 12:55, and by 1:13 the fluke had already fallen off. Looking good so far.

The tank inhabitants all seem to be acting normal so far. Since it is so early in the treatment, I'll update as the days go by if there are any changes.

Tank inhabitants include:
[LIST]
hermits
margarita snails
porcelain crab
mccosker's flasher wrasse
purple firefish
flametail blenny
yellow watchman
pods
other microscopic crustaceans I can barely see walking around in circles under 14x magnification
palythoa and yellow parazoanthus[LIST]

My tank is cloudy, and as for now I'll blame the sand that was in the net when I transferred the watchman. I have a water change and some carbon ready to go if I see any problems.

musicsmaker
03/02/2015, 07:51 PM
Update: Day 2

I got home around 6 today, and everything looked fine. I decided to go ahead and do a water change because Monday is always water change day. Since the list didn't work right the first time, I'll re-post it with some changes I made:

hermits - still doing what hermits do, including becoming very active when I feed the tank margarita snails - none have died, and I even seen a baby one today :D porcelain crab - fanning the water and chilling out in his spot Mccosker's flasher wrasse - was OK until he tried to attack the hose I was siphoning with and got sucked in. He always attacks, but this is the first time he ever got sucked up. Call it coincidence because I always have to chase him away from the hose, but I was distracted this time. That being said, he's kinda freaked out right now. purple firefish - sill fluke free :D yellow watchman - was doing great at first, but by the end of the day yesterday I had to remove him because the flametail was harassing him relentlessly. This was the second time I tried to introduce him to the tank. The same thing happened the first time I tried to introduce him. flametail blenny - eating voraciously as always. Getting evicted soon. sharknose goby - new addition late last night. I figured I was treating the tank, so I might as well add him now so he could be treated along with everything else. He has claimed one of the flametail blenny's holes, and the flametail doesn't like it. He's fending the flametail off pretty well. palythoa and yellow parazoanthus - still open, palythoa still responds to bits of flake food landing on its skirt (pulls it to it's mouth) pods - still present. other microscopic crustaceans I can barely see walking around in circles under 14x magnification - still present and walking around in circles

So far so good. Hopefully badass wrasse recovers and learns his lesson about the siphon hose. I'll do my part and put a screen on it from now on just in case.

ETA - tank is still a bit cloudy. Hopefully the skimmer i ordered clears that up once and for all.

musicsmaker
03/03/2015, 02:45 PM
Day 3: Quick update.

The wrasse is 100% back to normal - not a scratch on him.
Yellow watchman is recovering nicely in his original tank.
Sharknose goby has settled right in.

Nothing else has changed; everything seems oblivious to the fact that the tank is being treated.

musicsmaker
03/09/2015, 08:16 PM
Day 9: Final update.

No negative effects to report. I did another water change today and added carbon. About 10 minutes later I think every copepod in my tank molted. It was kinda cool to see all the molts blowing around in the water column. I also started running a protein skimmer for the first time since I started this tank. It already has about 1/16 of an inch of dark brown skimmate in the collection cup. I like this skimmer already, but that's for a different thread.

Conclusion: I would use this stuff again given similar circumstances. I'll certainly be treating all new additions with it as a preventative during QT. If I see any sign of these things returning, I'll update this thread. Otherwise, I'm calling it works as advertised.