PDA

View Full Version : 2 heater program help needed

cas1069
03/02/2015, 07:21 AM
i have 2 heaters one each plugged into its own eb8
both heaters are in plug #2 i am using the auto program from the apex for heaters and they have the same settings but only one heater will come on at
a time.
the program is:

Heater_3_2 (3-2)
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 76.5 Then ON
If Temp > 77.5 Then OFF

Heater_4_2 (4-2)
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 76.5 Then ON
If Temp > 77.5 Then OFF

4_2 is the one that will turn on and both plugs on eb8 are working
any idea how to get them both to turn on and off at the same time?

ska d
03/02/2015, 08:57 AM
Try raising the thermostat of the heaters themselves just a little

cas1069
03/02/2015, 02:16 PM
Try raising the thermostat of the heaters themselves just a little

that will have effect on the plug being turned on and off by the apex??

Mark Bianco
03/02/2015, 03:31 PM
If 4 works the way you want then just change 3 to this.

Heater_3_2 (3-2)
Fallback OFF
Set Off
If outlet Heater_4_2 = ON Then ON

cas1069
03/02/2015, 04:08 PM
If 4 works the way you want then just change 3 to this.

Heater_3_2 (3-2)
Fallback OFF
Set Off

thanks i will give it a try

kurt_n
03/02/2015, 11:14 PM
that will have effect on the plug being turned on and off by the apex??

No.

My first assumption would be that the thermostat of the heater that's not turning on is set too low. My guess is that the outlet is turning on, but the heater's thermostat isn't allowing the heater itself to turn on.

Are you sure there's power going to that outlet when it should be on? Easy thing to do is plug a small light into the outlet you think isn't working.

gregr
03/03/2015, 09:01 AM
Fairly quick way to check Kurt's assumption is to log that outlet (check the 'enable log' box for that outlet).

cas1069
03/03/2015, 05:49 PM
No.

My first assumption would be that the thermostat of the heater that's not turning on is set too low. My guess is that the outlet is turning on, but the heater's thermostat isn't allowing the heater itself to turn on.

Are you sure there's power going to that outlet when it should be on? Easy thing to do is plug a small light into the outlet you think isn't working.

i was testing the program with 2 lights one would come on one would not, i than looked into the apex logs and dashboard and one would come on and not the other. so far it looks like :

Heater_3_2 (3-2)
Fallback OFF
Set Off

is working

cardiffgiant
03/05/2015, 07:51 AM
Does anyone know why both wouldn't turn on from the temperature logic?

elFloyd
03/05/2015, 03:27 PM
The logic is fine. (unless you also have a Hysteresis or other delay in the program)

I would have turned on the outlets at the Dashboard to see if the heater came on. If yes... the problem is with Programming, if they did not come on, then it's the heater.

cas1069
03/06/2015, 05:23 PM
The logic is fine. (unless you also have a Hysteresis or other delay in the program)

I would have turned on the outlets at the Dashboard to see if the heater came on. If yes... the problem is with Programming, if they did not come on, then it's the heater.

i did test both from the dashboard and the face unit both plugs would turn on and off manually just not with the default program after i set the plugs to auto

kurt_n
03/06/2015, 10:37 PM
i did test both from the dashboard and the face unit both plugs would turn on and off manually just not with the default program after i set the plugs to auto

My guess is that your programming in those two outlets wasn't *exactly* the same, as far as the name of the temperature probe. Perhaps you had a space in the character name and it *looked* the same, but really wasn't? That's the only thing that makes sense of what you described.

You said you plugged a light into each outlet and they still behaved the same way (one turning on, the other staying off) so that would eliminate the thermostat possibility. And they turned on/off manually just fine, so that would eliminate an outlet malfunction. So the only thing left is that the "If Temp..." program statement wasn't being read correct by the Apex. More often than not, people have an extra space in there and don't realize it.

cas1069
03/07/2015, 06:16 AM
thank you kurt and everyone else for the help. i'm not sure what the problem was but i now have it fixed and it is working like i want it