PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy Euro-braced again?

Patrick Cox
03/02/2015, 08:36 AM
If you own a euro-braced aquarium or have in the past, would you buy one again and why - or why not?

Thanks.

ca1ore
03/02/2015, 09:33 AM
I run a eurobraced 180 (just the top; not the bottom) from about 1990 to 2008. Was one of the very first 'reef ready' tanks. Never had any trouble with it, and as far as I know it is still in use. Really no complaints and I would absolutely buy one again. Do you have specific concerns?

Patrick Cox
03/02/2015, 09:42 AM
I run a eurobraced 180 (just the top; not the bottom) from about 1990 to 2008. Was one of the very first 'reef ready' tanks. Never had any trouble with it, and as far as I know it is still in use. Really no complaints and I would absolutely buy one again. Do you have specific concerns?

Hi, thanks for your reply. No, I am just considering a Euro brace for my next tank and was wondering if people liked them or not. My current tank is rimless and I am upgrading and I may go Euro-braced this time to keep the glass thickness down.

Thanks.

Wazzel
03/02/2015, 10:06 AM
My 160 was euro braced. If euro bracing fit the application I would have no issues going that route again.

Hal
03/02/2015, 06:45 PM
Yep. I would buy again. But I used to be an engineer and like to have a big safety margin for things that would make me file a claim with my insurance agent.

Unless you have an open top tank I see no reason to not have it unless you prefer center bracing.

tkeracer619
03/02/2015, 08:28 PM
Yes, if I can I will.

moondoggy4
03/02/2015, 10:46 PM
Usually preferred in Ca due to earthquakes. Less sloshing of water out of the tank.

muttley101
03/02/2015, 10:52 PM
Had rimless.. Eurobrace from here on out... Cleaning glass is less messy and can run my Gyre at pulse set 100% without water jumping my tank!

Patrick Cox
03/03/2015, 06:39 AM
Had rimless.. Eurobrace from here on out... Cleaning glass is less messy and can run my Gyre at pulse set 100% without water jumping my tank!

Thanks. These are the options I am considering. Did the Euro-bracing bother you or get in the way when doing maintenance and cleaning?

Thanks

Wazzel
03/03/2015, 07:53 AM
Thanks. These are the options I am considering. Did the Euro-bracing bother you or get in the way when doing maintenance and cleaning?

Thanks

Not for me. You can not hang stuff from the tank rim and if you have a power cord running into the tank it loops out a bit.

andrewkw
03/03/2015, 08:21 AM
I would only buy eurobracing again.

As for not being able to hang hang stuff. When I do the final show tank I will have holes drilled in the euro bracing for electrical. I can't think of anything I'd need to hang over the bracing itself.

muttley101
03/03/2015, 12:08 PM

Thanks

I use a magnet cleaner called a flipper.. This thing is awesome for cleaning the glass. I had water jump the rimless when cleaning with it, but now it takes half the time to clean the glass because I don't have to be careful spilling water out over the rimless edge. Maintenance as far as vacuuming detritus, I have no issues. As for hanging equipment I rarely have anything hanging on my tank. Most of my equipment is in my sump.

If I do have something hanging on my tank it would be a Apex auto-fish-feeder (AFS) during vacation. The AFS has a euro-brace mount. And if you choose to go the ecotech route for flow you shouldn't have any wires going into the tank. However, I do have only one wire going into my tank which is my Gyre near my overflow.. Notch is cut out around the overflow for wire routing.

Hal
03/04/2015, 11:23 AM

Thanks

It makes scraping coralline algae near the waterline more difficult. You can get at it with a cleaning magnet, but less so with a conventional scraper.

deleau
03/04/2015, 06:41 PM
I have euro braced tank now and would do it again. I have no cords in the tank (vortechs) so that is not an issue.

Steve Atkins
03/05/2015, 02:03 AM
I just did.

dattack
03/05/2015, 03:15 AM
I would get a taller rimless tank and make sure the overflow box is at least 4 to 5 inches from the rim. It will be easier to clean and less splashing. Easier maintenance with rimless.

Patrick Cox
03/06/2015, 04:27 PM
I would get a taller rimless tank and make sure the overflow box is at least 4 to 5 inches from the rim. It will be easier to clean and less splashing. Easier maintenance with rimless.

4-5 inches sounds like a lot of space. Why would you choose that over euro-braced? (what about euro braced didn't you like?) Thanks for your comments.

dattack
03/06/2015, 07:06 PM
I just like the clean look of a rimless tank. The extra 4 to 5 inches will be needed for a wave box hidden near the overflow box to prevent water spill over. Just add one vortech and a gyre to the rank and it will be looking nice. Lights would be hanging or floating of course.

Mike de Leon
03/06/2015, 07:33 PM
I hate the dirty euro bracing. Hard to clean underneath.