PDA

View Full Version : refugium maintenance/control

rschneid
03/02/2015, 09:02 AM
I was doing some maintenance in my refuge and noticed a lot of newish things. I am interested to know what the best practice is for some of these things.
1. I have starfish of some kind (at least 3 of them) in there.
2. I have two or 3 new kinds of algae growing (hair and leafy something or other)
3. I have some phantom creatures and am interested in knowing what they are (so I can stop calling them phantoms) [ they look like phantoms to me :-) ] see 2045

Basically I would like to know which of these things I should try to control if at all.

All opinions welcome.
rich S.

ca1ore
03/02/2015, 10:41 AM
First picture is a macro algae, good. Second and third pictures are GHA, ok in the refugium, bad in the display (may overgrow the macro though, which is bad). Fourth picture is a brittle star, also good. Last picture is of flatworms, bad.

Compliance
03/02/2015, 12:20 PM
I never had any bad effects from the white/clear 'hooded' flatworms... Planaria? (reddish brown)... can be a real headache - but the white ones are ok in my experience.

I used to run a slow flow refugium and let whatever algae wanted to take over, take over.... hair algae was what won the battle. Newer setup just has the spinning ball of chaeto...

Reefin' Dude
03/02/2015, 10:48 PM
how long has the system been setup, and have you introduced any new LR into the fuge in the past month or so?

i have only encountered the white flatworms in the first couple of months of LR being introduced, and this is fresh LR not the cured type. i have heard that this is a predatory flatworm for the bad kind of flatworm that ca1ore mentioned. they tend to be reddish in color. either way i have yet to be able to keep them for more than a few weeks after discovery.

G~

HiFidelity
03/03/2015, 01:11 AM
I have those worms, they stay in the fuge and I've yet to see one in the display. I too didn't know what they were and the fact that they stay in the fuge is the only reason why I haven't panicked over them.

Going to watch this to see what others might say about the flatworms...