PDA

View Full Version : BTA deflate/inflate daily

Robert M
03/02/2015, 09:26 AM
I've had my BTA for a few months now and I couldn't be happier. My clowns hosted with in just a few days and have been in it ever since. I know these things can ve quirky but how can you tell when quirky turns to unhealthy?

The things I've noticed seem strange but I have nothing to compare it too, other than what I've read. My BTA seems to not be as dependent on light as I would have though. It had found a home in a piece of LR almost right away and pretty much has been there ever since. There are times it splits itself between two holes, allowing half its body out one hole in the rock and the other tunneling out another. Recently, it has moved out of there but just above the top hole. Its about mid way up in the tank. The concerned ng behavior is when o see it completely deflate itself for an hour or so and then completely inflate again. The mouth is wide open when deflated. I'm pretty sure it has done this sam e thing all along but not positive. There were times that it would completely duck into the rock only to reappear a few hours later but sometimes almost a day tucked away.

This seems abnormal but when its inflated, it looks very healthy. I notice the female clown tends to be a bit of a bully towards the BTA, especially when its deflated. They also steal food from it when I target feed. Not sure I've ever seen the BTA actually eat.

Is this normal and is there anything I can do? My parameters are always very good and I do water changes 10% water changes every other week.

clownfish123321
03/02/2015, 09:56 AM
What do you mean by Good parameters?
I would change Wc from every other week to every week
And also clowns can really stress an anemone i would remove them until the bta gets better
I had a similar problem and MiHn helped me I
If all this fails remove from tank and place in ht and treat with cipro Read stick note on top of page for treatment protocol
Keep us updated

Robert M
03/02/2015, 02:50 PM
I mean zero nitrates, zero phosphates, salinity 1.025, zero ammonia, zero nitrites. I rarely see a spike/increase of anything and I have used different set kits and have my LFS test the water.
MiHn?

Do you think its only the clowns causing it to stress out and deflate? Like I said, its usually a brief period of time.

Robert M
03/02/2015, 02:59 PM
BTW, also tested for stray voltage... Highest reading was 5VAC.

clownfish123321
03/02/2015, 04:21 PM
ok then just follow what i stated above keep us updated

Robert M
03/02/2015, 08:01 PM
Will do. Thank you.