PDA

View Full Version : too many fish for a 75 gallon?

BleuFish
03/02/2015, 12:32 PM
I'm trying to get an idea of what is considered too many fish for a 75g. The tank has been running for over a year, it's a lps softie tank. Would you consider that fully stocked or overstocked?

Stocklist:
Flame angelfish
pair of Clownfish percula
Exquisite wrasse
Mccokster's wrasse
Carpenter's wrasse

Looking to add:
Barlett's Anthias
Midas Blenny
Helfrichi Firefish
Starcki Damselfish (if I can find one)

cloak
03/02/2015, 12:40 PM
I think you could add one or two more fish. Nothing that gets too big though.

Nitrates? Usually this is an indication on how hard the tank is working to keep up with the current bio load.

BigCountry74
03/02/2015, 01:23 PM
Nitrates? Usually this is an indication on how hard the tank is working to keep up with the current bio load.

X2 there is your answer

julie180
03/02/2015, 02:11 PM
I would be very leery adding fish with a flame angel. I had one in a 75 gallon tank that killed new additions 3 times its size.

ca1ore
03/02/2015, 04:10 PM
Absent swimming room requirements, and avoiding extremes, 'overstocked' is simply a function of nutrient export capability. In other words, +3 on nitrates :lol:

Timfish
03/02/2015, 04:53 PM
I once saw an article and picture of a demonstration tank and filtering system done by the Georgia Fishery Dept. that had 7.9 lbs of Rainbow Trout in a tank that had less than a gallon of water, almost a 1 to 1 ratio of water weight to fish weight. Trick was removing nitrogenous waste fast enough so it did not impact water quality and oxygenation. So short answer is +4 on nitrates

BleuFish
03/02/2015, 06:07 PM
Just added the wrasses so I'll test for nitrate right before the next water change, so far it's been undetectable. As for the flame angel, he went ballistic when I added the 3 wrasses. I turned off the lights for the first day, and 2 to 3 days later they were all getting along. He caught me off guard, wasn't expecting him to be that much of a bully.

Fishmaster13
03/02/2015, 06:19 PM
Strange. I've has several flame Angels with several different species of wrasses and they've never had any problems. I'd say only 1 or 2 more fish, my 75 has 6 and its a good number but any more would just throw it off balance