PDA

View Full Version : What coral food have you had the most success with?

Aaron143
03/02/2015, 03:21 PM
Hey guys,
so I'm looking at getting some new coral food and was wondering which out there you guys have had the most success with? I've been looking at Reef Frenzy, Reef Roids, and also Oyster Feast. Can you guys help me choose which one is best? Or if theres something better, I'm open to suggestions as well. I have zoas, softies, lps, and sps. Thanks a lot guys!

ReefsandGeeks
03/02/2015, 03:57 PM
I've also got a mixed tank and I've had good luck with all of my coral accepting oyster feast. Havne't tried reef frenzy/roids personaly though. A fe wweeks ago I made a DIY coral food and I've seen almost worrisome levels of polyp extension from one of my acros, and everything seems like it might be growing even faster. Only problem is it makes the skimmer go crazy and I end up skimming a cup of clear water after feeding. Worth the effort IMO though. Also seems to be cheaper. I'd get oyster feast again if I didn't want to deal with making my own.

Aaron143
03/02/2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks for your input. What was your homemade recipe if you don't mind sharing?

ca1ore
03/02/2015, 06:48 PM
My tank is mainly SPS and zoos, with a few LPS and softies tossed in for good measure. I don't 'target' feed any of my corals. I do use LRS Reef Frenzy for my fish which contains smaller particles and periodically toss in a block of frozen rotifers and some ova; but in the main its fish poop that provides the presumed majority of the nutrients the corals need. In the absence of said feeding, my torch Coral, as example, has become huge. Going from a single head to now five in about a year with tentacles at least 8" long.

Stevenliu9
03/02/2015, 09:54 PM
I've also got a mixed tank and I've had good luck with all of my coral accepting oyster feast. Havne't tried reef frenzy/roids personaly though. A fe wweeks ago I made a DIY coral food and I've seen almost worrisome levels of polyp extension from one of my acros, and everything seems like it might be growing even faster. Only problem is it makes the skimmer go crazy and I end up skimming a cup of clear water after feeding. Worth the effort IMO though. Also seems to be cheaper. I'd get oyster feast again if I didn't want to deal with making my own.

I too use DIY food, and too experience crazy skimmer thing- just shows how much nutrient "real" food packs.

Aaron143
03/03/2015, 02:32 AM
Thanks guys! Its much appreciated for your input. What do you do for your DIY food? As in what all do you use?