PDA

View Full Version : Puffer v Sponge ?

KCD1803
03/02/2015, 04:00 PM
Will a dwarf puffer eat my yellow sea sponge that is growing on my live rock?

Thanks !

FraggledRock
03/02/2015, 04:06 PM
is it lemon flavored?

emint0830
03/09/2015, 11:51 AM
Dwarf puffers are freshwater fish. The only truly freshwater puffer

killinit123
03/09/2015, 12:14 PM
Dwarf puffers are freshwater fish. The only truly freshwater puffer

they can be acclimated to full salt though I have done this with a spotted puffer in the past

Jason S
03/09/2015, 01:27 PM
Are you talking about a Valentini, Spotted, or a true Dwarf Puffer (Malabar)? To my knowledge, you can not acclimate a Dwarf Puffer to full saltwater, but you can for some other species like the Spotted. A Valentini is a saltwater puffer.

To answer your questions though: Can it? Sure... Will it? It's up to him...

It's a tough question to answer, and it makes it even tougher when each fish has it's own quirks and likes. This is why you hear about some people with Flame Angels and Tridacnids in the same tank, and some that can't keep them together. You hear about some people with a Porcupine Puffer in a reef, while other tanks have been decimated by one. There is no consistency when it comes to compatibility or being "reef safe". I have had many "reef safe" fish that ate things they should have which is why I do not use the term personally. I know it is not the answer you want to hear, but there is no definite answer to be honest.

KCD1803
05/04/2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks all, I should have been more specific, he is a saltwater Toby / dwarf puffer. It's been awhile now and he hasn't touched it, it has taken off rather well since he was added.