PDA

View Full Version : Should I scrap off the GSP my back wall? (pics)

aleok
03/03/2015, 10:41 PM
It took me a while to harvest enough of it from my main rock. Its been growing on the back glass panel for about 9-12 months and I'm not super excited about the direction its gone, basically just straight up, and it peels up and flies away.

It looks kinda patchy to me and 70% of the wall is just coralline and other gross algaes. I was thinking of getting out the siphon and just going to town with a razor blade.

My concerns are:
1. I might miss the GSP (but i do have a large main rock):debi:
2. the extra work to clean the back
3. the back of my isn't clean, get wires, plumbing, controllers, etc. (could be cleaned up a bit i guess)

what do you guys think? thanks!

aleok
03/03/2015, 10:42 PM
I'd leave the overflow box alone though.

PhaneSoul
03/03/2015, 10:45 PM
does it peel off the glass super easy? I was gonna grow something like gsp on my side glass, but not if it just flakes off like that.

kendrid
03/03/2015, 11:40 PM
I had GSP on my sand in the back of my tank and it grew up the glass. It was super easy to frag off the glass in giant chunks.

OP: You could clean up the other algae and leave the GSP alone.

Pluedke1
03/03/2015, 11:43 PM
I kind of like it growing on the back. I'm going to let mine take over overflow box. Something easy to frag and take in for supplies at lfs. Good luck with whatever you choose.

chefbill
03/04/2015, 07:35 AM
OP, I tried to get some to grow after having had my tank running at least 10 months. The GSP seems to not grow over coraline, so scrap off everything but the GSP. Can't hurt. <----famous last words

PhaneSoul
03/04/2015, 08:01 AM
Yeah so are 'what's the worst that can happen' lmao

tidus10
03/04/2015, 08:06 AM
i dont think ive ever cleaned my back glass..

no point its the back of the tank.. algae is good for the tank.. and GSP looks great.. even if it kinda makes your tank look like its turning into a zebra with the stripes..

my vote.. let it grow:celeb3:

aleok
03/04/2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone, seems like most ppl like the look. I think the flow is pretty high along the glass so thats why it likes to peel up.

rfgonzo
03/04/2015, 11:00 PM
I had a 150 gallon years ago that I let GSP grow on the back of the tank, the whole back was covered in GSP, the look was fantastic, however it was constantly growing between the teeth of the overflow and if I didn't keep up on it the tank water level would rise (potential flood) The tank numerous times came close to overflowing. I got to the point where I would just stick a razor blade underneath it by the overflow and then grab it with my hand and peel it off like wallpaper. Even though it was a pain in the butt I really did like the look.

PhaneSoul
03/05/2015, 03:03 AM
sounds nice, I went to my lfs tues looking for gsp, he only had 3 frags of it, 1 didn't look nice and I only wanted a lil frag of it so hes gonna frag me a piece of the nicer lookin stuff

cleverbs
03/05/2015, 08:31 AM
I loved mine on the back wall. I had a 2ftx1ft matt on my back wall and everyone loved it and I thought it looked cool. Sadly it died when my tank crashed. Wish I had it back :(

biecacka
03/05/2015, 10:21 AM
I can't get mine to grow off the freaking frag plugs!!! :(

Corey

benjc
03/05/2015, 12:49 PM
I'd vote to keep it. I'm biased though because I've started growing encrusting montis on my overflow.

tidus10
03/05/2015, 01:37 PM
I can't get mine to grow off the freaking frag plugs!!! :(

Corey

gotta sweet talk it.. OH yea and BLAST it with flow.. mine was about 4" from my powerhead.. almost dead on.. :dance: