PDA

View Full Version : new tank stocking problems?

lonbrat
03/04/2015, 12:44 AM
so i recently just got a salt water tank off craigslist. (good way to get a full set up with cheap live rock etc.) it was a 40gal. with a maroon clown and 2 other fish im not entirely sure of, but after searching i think one is a lunare wrasse, and the other a female bird wrasse. (and 2 starfish that looked chewed up)

i noticed the 2 wrasse fighting, ( lun. was chasing the other) and the clown had torn up fins. i wasnt sure if it was the wrasse that tore up the fins and i decided id write here if there were anymore problems.

now today i just looked through the tank and the bird wrasse had a chunk missing out of her side and the clown looked a bit more torn up.

im gonna bring the lun. wrasse to my lfs and see if i can trade if for something more fitting for my tank?
also, is there anything i can do for the bird wrasse? im not planning on keeping that one either (due to small tank) but shes missing a big chunk, so i left her to die (or hopefully heal) in the tank in peace. (now that i took out the mean butt head)

anyways xD, what would good stocking be with a maroon clown in a 40 gal tank? i may be moving her to a 55 once im positive its ready.

any info is greatly appreciated!

gone fishin
03/04/2015, 05:40 AM
Maroons are IMO the most aggressive of the clowns. Leaving the clown in the tank will limit what you can add. The bird wrasse will get big so at some point it will need to be rehomed as well.

If it was my tank I would remove them all and start from scratch on the stocking. Just my 2 cents Good luck.

lonbrat
03/05/2015, 02:49 AM
Maroons are IMO the most aggressive of the clowns. Leaving the clown in the tank will limit what you can add. The bird wrasse will get big so at some point it will need to be rehomed as well.

If it was my tank I would remove them all and start from scratch on the stocking. Just my 2 cents Good luck.

i know they are aggressive, but i fell in love with her cuteness :D maybe ill just keep her in that tank and maybe get her a mate to share the whole tank.

but thanks definitely! im going to have a "calmer" tank with gobies and other cute smaller fish * that get along most definitely ! *