PDA

View Full Version : About to use chemiclean...

RalphTheOscar
03/04/2015, 07:44 AM
I have a bubbler with 2 outlets and a dial setting, 2 air stones. I don't have a filter or carbon or anything. I will keep the tank aerated and then dose the tank and then do water changes. Anything I'm missing?

FraggledRock
03/04/2015, 08:15 AM
Why are you using it?

Are there fish?

Did you try to remedy this through better maintenance?

How long have you tried before resorting to this?

RalphTheOscar
03/04/2015, 10:55 AM
I've tried better husbandry for 3 months. I've reduced my lighting. Reduced feeding. Done more water changes. This has helped somewhat but the problem is still there and starting to take over some of my live rock. I have 2 fish. 2 shrimp. Couple hermits and snails and a conch in the tank. Also several corals

brett559
03/04/2015, 11:15 AM
Best choice you'll ever make. It really does work. You'll have to do 3-4 water changes afterwards to get your skimmer back to normal, but it works. I had it everywhere. Rocks sand, everywhere.

Mine was caused by excess light (I used to run my lights like 14 hours a day!). I have knocked the lights back to 6 hours a day and I haven't seen any signs of it since the Chemiclean got rid of it all.

ddrueckh
03/04/2015, 11:24 AM
I would remove as much Cyano as you can before dosing. This will reduce the amount of dead Cyano that is in the tank after dosing.

I have ChemiClean on order and am going to use it as well. I have been battling Cyano for 5 months. I do 10% water changes every week, siphon my sand, blow off the rocks; I have reduced my feeding and run GAC and GFO. I have tried lights out 3 times but it doesn't all go away and just takes over again. I use a BRS RO/DI unit and have 0 TDS for all my water. Nothing has helped. I normally don't like adding any chemicals to my tank but I am done with this stuff. Based on the overwhelming reports of success, I am willing to take a chance. There is also no clear way on how to eliminate Cyano without chemicals. Some say it is due to nitrate/phosphate and others say light. The point is that there is no conclusive way to get rid of it once it has established itself. I have found that using too much GFO to lower my phosphate has just hurt my SPS coral and has not made a dent in the Cyano. I have seen others who have tried GFO to eliminate Cyano have not had success either. It seems the naysayers are those who have not used the product and a few who have had negative results (tank crash). I believe those who have had their tank crash did not follow the directions, measured incorrectly, did not have enough oxygen... I will hook up my canister filter and turkey baste as much Cyano off the rock and sand as I can and remove it. This will eliminate how much dead Cyano is in the tank after I use ChemiClean.

NO3 10 Red Sea Pro
PO4 0 Hannah
ALK 8.0 Hannah
Calcium 440 Red Sea Pro
Salinity 35ppm Refractometer calibrated before each use
Dose BRS 2 Part

Salty Cracker
03/04/2015, 11:54 AM
I was in the same boat. Tried everything being using it. Did not lose any stock.. tank is pristine again.

150Ron
03/04/2015, 12:07 PM
I find it kills plenty of hermits and snails as well as Cyano. Hard on the tank in general. It does work but you may have to increase your flow as well in the long term. Cyano loves dead spots and it spreads from there. I will never use chemiclean again. There is a root problem in the aquarium as well that you should find. Somehow you are getting phos and nitrates.

Sk8r
03/04/2015, 12:11 PM
I've also had to advise people who had a tank crash following. Read the instructions.

RalphTheOscar
03/04/2015, 12:44 PM
To avoid a tank crash would it be better if I did a little bit less than the recommended dose? I've heard of people having to do one dose. Water changes and then another dose days later to get the job done

FraggledRock
03/04/2015, 03:23 PM
Have you reduced feeding? Added phosphate removal? what is your water source?

3 months is when it will START to go away. Things take time. trust me my tank crashed recently. Its better to have a thriving tank with a bit of cyano, then lose everything.

this commitment should be as thought out as someone debating getting married LOL once its done its done =P

do you have enough flow?Usually when someone uses chemicals to clear nuissances, it will return if they didnt figure out what they were doing to cause the problem (or not doing in terms of nutrient export/import)

ddrueckh
03/04/2015, 03:34 PM
FragglesRock, what caused your tank crash? ChemiClean?

FraggledRock
03/04/2015, 03:38 PM
FragglesRock, what caused your tank crash? ChemiClean?

no.

IF you are indicating that I would have had to experience a tank crash from chemiclean to have weight to my theories, then I dunno.

My crash was caused by stirring up sand in my sump, compounded with uncured silicon.

I am just trying to help people avoid experiencing what I am going through, whether from what happened to me, or otherwise =)

RalphTheOscar
03/04/2015, 06:53 PM
I had feather caulpera in my tank and that sucked up all my phosphates I'm guessing. I over pruned and killed the feather caulpera. Soon after that the cyanobacteria started to take over. I had 2 strains red and black. I Siphoned and battled and the red went away or lost and now the black is spreading further. I was lax in my water changes and need to be more on top of my maintenence. I already bought the chemi clean but I'm willing to hold off and see if better care and upkeep will defeat it. It's a 30gallon tank and I was using a penguin 350 but I took that out and I just received my reef octopus bh1000. Do u think the addition of a protein skimmer and more water changes/less feeding and less lighting that I can win?