PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic BC 29 Light Upgrade

joeydiesel
03/04/2015, 08:21 AM
Hello Fellow Reefers,

I'm a few weeks into the SW world with a Oceanic BC 29 that I bought used; test levels are all within a cycled tank readings.

I realize already that I will need a better skimmer, system came with a CPR SR3 unit and that things is beyond loud and doesn't skim..lol. Leaning heavliy towards the Tunze 9001 unit.

My question is what's the best light modifcation to support all types of coral growth. Background I'm decent with tools, but prefer to not do a ton of drilling, soldering, etc. If your reply can include model name and website that I can purchase the lights that would be great!

Thanks in advance

Joey

Mythicalelf
03/04/2015, 08:25 AM
What lights do you have on your BC?
WHat corals do you plan on keeping in the tank?
Depending on the answer to these questions you might not want to upgrade.

Jason S
03/04/2015, 09:25 AM
It really depends on what you want to keep to be honest. The PCs that it likely came with would be fine for some softies, mushrooms, zoas, palys, etc.

I am about to upgrade my Biocube lighting to LED myself, and I have heard the best things from Steve's LEDs or Rapid LED. The best depends on who you ask.

ffmedic
03/04/2015, 11:17 AM
Like Jason said and you need to decide if you want to keep your lid Steves led would allow this bit I took mine of and bought a hanging led unit

boosted_347
03/04/2015, 03:33 PM
^^I agree with the above posters.... Do you want to keep the hood or ditch it? Steves and Rapid LED have great solutions. I went for something different and ditched my hood. I have a single 165 watt LED fixture for lighting. It was cheaper than modifying my hood... but now I top off daily. Tradeoff I guess.

joeydiesel
03/05/2015, 12:26 AM
Mythicalelf/All,

Right now my BC has 36 Watt Actinic Blue and 10k 36W Daylight. As far as coral I plan to start with "novice" corals, but want to have the flexibility to add more complex experienced corals down the road. With my current lights what type of corals can I keep?

As far as tank goods I defintely prefer a closed hood.

Any thoughts on the tunze skimmer?

Jason S
03/05/2015, 10:06 AM
I have had various leather corals, Kenya tree (THat I wish I could get rid of because it takes over quickly if I do not trim it frequently), a frogspawn, various zoa's and paly's, ricordia Yuma, and some mushrooms in my Cube for years with that same lighting. The color is not the best, but they all grow well and need to be fragged regularly.

I do not have experience with that skimmer, but I will say that any skimmer that works is better than none. As far as the lighting, with you wanting to keep the hood, you can not go wrong with either Steve's LED's or Rapid LED... I am debating which to purchase for my own on payday tomorrow :)

Mythicalelf
03/05/2015, 10:45 AM
Mythicalelf/All,

Right now my BC has 36 Watt Actinic Blue and 10k 36W Daylight. As far as coral I plan to start with "novice" corals, but want to have the flexibility to add more complex experienced corals down the road. With my current lights what type of corals can I keep?

As far as tank goods I defintely prefer a closed hood.

Any thoughts on the tunze skimmer?

I'm running the same lights as you. My tank is cycling still and I have ordered 1 stunner led strip to see if I like the outcome and might add more later if I do. For the corals I want to keep the lights are fine. I'm mostly gonna do Zoas and soft corals with many a couple lps but no sps.

AS far as skimmer goes I have heard nice things about the Tunze 9001. My friend had 3 of these biocubes and is changing to 1 large tank, which is where I got my from, and used this one with good success. http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Tunze-DOC-9001-Nano-Protein-Skimmer-9001.htm

I think I'm gonna use the media basket and no skimmer to begin with.

joeydiesel
03/05/2015, 11:04 AM
Jason, or anyone with the same setup(ie lights)

Can you post a picture of your corals? I'd like to get an idea of my options with my current light setup.

Thanks

chefbill
03/05/2015, 11:20 AM
I've 2 thoughts on this.
First, stock Biocubes absolutely will grow stoney corals, LPS and SPS both. Extra thought needs be given to placement though.
Second, I had a hard time putting money into Biocube lights, as I enjoyed the hobby too much to limit myself to 29g, and knew I'd upgrade to a bigger tank, so decided to save my money towards my new system.

joeydiesel
03/05/2015, 01:58 PM
Chefbill,

I definitely understand that perspective. Part of the reason I'm looking for additional information before I make any upgrades.

I hoping someone has a picture [or two :-)] of their corals with BC stock lights.

chefbill
03/05/2015, 02:20 PM
Here are some pics of mine.

Mythicalelf
03/06/2015, 12:58 PM
Here are some pics of mine.

Is that under PC lighting?

chefbill
03/06/2015, 01:08 PM
Yep. Only mods or additions to the tank were using 2nd chamber as a fuge, a 2nd PH, and a skimmer. I did add the LED light bars made for the biocube, but they're just visual. They don't help the coral at all.