PDA

View Full Version : what to put in a new refugium

bmackcw
03/04/2015, 09:39 AM
I'm picking up my new Aqueon sump/refugium tonight. Converting from HOB filter system.

I'd like to take my time setting it up, but it doesn't seem that complicated. I'd like to avoid dropping $30 on a bag of live sand only to use 1/3 of it (and I don't want to take it from the main tank, as the bed isn't too deep).

I've seen some ideas about "miracle mud," but wondering if I can just use a bunch of live rock rubble and a big handful of macro algae from LFS. So, no bed.

I bought two mesh bags, and was thinking of having the rock in the bags to grow critters - then alternating the bags between the tank and refugium - unless the bugs tend to find their own way up there.

Any thoughts appreciated...

SnoopyDaPimp
03/04/2015, 10:00 AM
I run a DSB in mine with rubble rock and chaeto. If you are not going to run a sand band use larger pieces of rock with the chaeto. You can skip the miracle mud, at $70-80 a bucket you would be better off buying a bag of sand.

bmackcw
03/04/2015, 10:09 AM
I was hoping to hear that. They don't carry the mud at any of the local shops here, so I'd have to get it online - $60-80. Didn't think it'd be worth it.

I'll probably just get the sand. I'm not seeing a lot about bare-bottom pros.

top shelf
03/04/2015, 10:11 AM
+1 for dsb, live rock, and chaeto

dendrite
03/04/2015, 12:31 PM
why not keep it simple with only chaeto, and live rock and avoid the detritus, and organic waste zones

FraggledRock
03/04/2015, 03:34 PM
why not keep it simple with only chaeto, and live rock and avoid the detritus, and organic waste zones

im currently redoing my sump and i have my first compartment will be just skimmer, bare bottom and open water with powerhead to keep the water stirred up to avoid detritus, second chamber will be a 4" sandbed and chaeoto and then a return chamber.

bmackcw
03/05/2015, 09:58 AM
I ended up with a handful of chaeto and a couple of pieces of LR. Going to buy a larger rock and crush it down to rubble. LFS said sand wasn't needed (would just make a mess) as my main goal is to grow pods to sustain some new fish.