PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Max 250 Lighting

Feriation
03/04/2015, 10:22 AM
Hi guys. I am still very much a newbie.

I started with a small tank that sprung a leak. A local reefer was kind enough to sell me his Red Sea Max 250 for cheap. The catch is, the previous owner before him gutted the lights from the hood.

I am not sure what to do at this point. I have not been able to find a replacement hood or the lighting assembly online. Possibly because I do not know the right terminology to search for?

Ideally I would like to keep the hood, and be able to use that handy light timer built in also, but at this point I am not even sure what all my options are.

Also, I hope this is the right spot to post this. If it was not, I am very sorry and I will post this in the proper spot, if you let me know what that would be.

Mythicalelf
03/04/2015, 11:17 AM
Could you not use LEDs in the hood?

MJV0103
03/04/2015, 12:40 PM
So they just took the T5 bulbs? that's an easy fix. There's people out there that have different lighting setups. Here's one possibility
http://redseamaxreef.com/red-sea-max-250-lighting/
There's also LED conversions that people have done to replace the T5s.

Feriation
03/04/2015, 01:35 PM
So they just took the T5 bulbs? that's an easy fix. There's people out there that have different lighting setups. Here's one possibility
http://redseamaxreef.com/red-sea-max-250-lighting/
There's also LED conversions that people have done to replace the T5s.

I wish they just took the bulbs. The entire assembly is gone so there isn't anything to put new bulbs into (I'm not sure what you would call that part, which is probably why my Google searching hasn't bee yielding me anything....)
They just hacked it all out and cut all the wires to the light timer etc.

soulpatch
03/04/2015, 01:38 PM
I would just put some LEDs in there and call it a day.

Some of the new LED setups have their own controllers built in so you wouldnt need to worry about the stock timer. Like the Radions.

Reef Frog
03/04/2015, 02:04 PM
You can contact Red Sea directly and they can sell you all new ballasts, wiring harnesses etc. but that's a big job. They could also sell you a new hood. If you PM me I'll direct you to a forum dedicated to these products where you might post a message to purchase a used hood, as a few users do go in other lighting directions. There is a Red Sea forum on the RC site as well where a used purchase might be possible.

Also, you could fit a Gen 3 Radion, maybe two or Maxspec 52 in the cavity between the aluminum reflector and the plexiglass lens cover. There is enough room but you'll need to make some kind of mounting rails and openings for cordage, which shouldn't be too difficult. If you go this way, make sure the ventilation fans are working so the LED fixtures don't run hot, which they will do in this small space unless you ventilate it. If you go this route I suggest you confirm the light spread is acceptable as the fixtures will be 4"-6" above the waterline, but I think you'll be OK.

Feriation
03/04/2015, 02:25 PM
You can contact Red Sea directly and they can sell you all new ballasts, wiring harnesses etc. but that's a big job. They could also sell you a new hood. If you PM me I'll direct you to a forum dedicated to these products where you might post a message to purchase a used hood, as a few users do go in other lighting directions. There is a Red Sea forum on the RC site as well where a used purchase might be possible.

Also, you could fit a Gen 3 Radion, maybe two or Maxspec 52 in the cavity between the aluminum reflector and the plexiglass lens cover. There is enough room but you'll need to make some kind of mounting rails and openings for cordage, which shouldn't be too difficult. If you go this way, make sure the ventilation fans are working so the LED fixtures don't run hot, which they will do in this small space unless you ventilate it. If you go this route I suggest you confirm the light spread is acceptable as the fixtures will be 4"-6" above the waterline, but I think you'll be OK.

Thank you!!

I have my 28 gallon jbj nano cube and I would get lots of help and support in the nano tank forum, but now I'm too big for there, and too small for the giant tank forum. I'm not quite sure where I belong anymore.

I think I've pinpointed my nano cube's leak to be somewhere in the top fifth of the tank. I lowered my water level a bit and haven't seen any leaking lately, so hopefully I have enough time to sort out and save up for whatever it is I decide to do.

Mark9
03/05/2015, 09:58 AM
Red Sea is a sponsor, you can try asking in their forum.