PDA

View Full Version : Floating Algae Scrubber/Mat

Mock
03/04/2015, 10:36 AM
Recently I removed all the sand and rock from my refugium because it was just so laden with detritus it was becoming a very bad nitrate trap. I we at it and removed the sand bed that was in it, rinsed all the rock really well and placed them into milk crates and when it was all said and done my 75 was all clean with well packed rock in easy to remove baskets.

I was looking at ways to still grow micro algae when I remembered what I had read on algae scrubber and wondered if this was something I might be able to put into place with what I am working with now.

As you can see in the photo I linked I am thinking of running this a little less than normal. I have a 75 that drains into one end and the water basically runs to the other before dumping into the rest of my sump set up.

I was wondering if this might work, I am thinking about building a floating scrubber to place that simply floats on the water surface of the 75 with screens in the top of it. The water would pass across it and allow for algae to grow on this mat.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/ucantcme420/Untitled_zpsz8uik9y9.png (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/ucantcme420/media/Untitled_zpsz8uik9y9.png.html)

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this before or have seen anything like it done. I can bring my light down lower if needed and pretty much have everything it would take but the real question was the flow, I know over time as the closer end grows the other end may not get adequate flow so, I was just turning to you guys to see if it would be a viable design.

Mock
03/04/2015, 10:48 AM
This is the actual tank in question, just so you can see what I am working with.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/ucantcme420/20150302_195815_zpshcyrilcv.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/ucantcme420/media/20150302_195815_zpshcyrilcv.jpg.html)

dudemeister
03/04/2015, 10:54 AM
I tried something similar with mixed success. I had the screen attached to the baffle with the water level lower in the other side. It didnt flow very well but does work just not as efficiently as if you had the flow directed from a perforated pipe.

Mock
03/04/2015, 11:02 AM
Cool, I have juggled this idea and another of actually building a slanted tray over the top out of black abs and re-routing one of the pipes (probably the one from the frag tank along the upper back wall) to go across it ie: perforated pipe, near the left side to drain down the tray and it all spill over back into the tank right before the edge on the right, tilting my light and making a "real" style scrubber.

Just would like some others takes on it as I am very new to the scrubber system but do know that I need a place to grow algae from past experiences.

Mock
03/06/2015, 10:40 AM
Anyone else???

KafudaFish
03/14/2015, 12:57 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2475595

Mock
03/17/2015, 07:18 AM
Yeah, the only thing that link gets at is "out of water" ATS are pretty bad if they are left to dry out. This one would not be out of the water however. Even if the pumps shut down, it would actually get more submerged because it is in the water and not using water to run over it.

dillct
03/17/2015, 08:17 PM
Google images "horizontal algae scrubber". Not trying to be a smart a$$, it's just that you'll find some good ideas there.

Mock
03/18/2015, 09:27 AM
Google images "horizontal algae scrubber". Not trying to be a smart a$$, it's just that you'll find some good ideas there.

Not taken that way at all.... Just have and wanted to see if anyone else has tried it.

All I get are they little "somebodies" floating ATS and not much info on actual users that have just submerged a mat and just let it grow.

mgraf
03/25/2015, 07:16 PM
I built a single sided scrubber. It fit inside a bay of my sump. It was an acrylic tray that I attached embroidery screen to. It was at a couple inch slant water ran over it from one section of my sump. It worked well, used no other pump but my return pump. The only drawback was lighting from one side cuts the growing surface in half for a screen. As long as your screen is big enough, you would still be fine.

Mock
03/27/2015, 09:05 AM
The screen would be the size of a 75 gallon tank top or a little shorter. I was just going to submerge this one about an inch or two and allow the water to pass over the top of it on its own, possibly put a power head forcing water across it. I wanted to make it more less a cover for the rock baskets I have under it, I dont want a whole bunch of algae growing on everything but I know I need it growing on something somewhere now that I have taken it all out, this was my thought as to add a place back for it to grow.

mgraf
03/27/2015, 06:40 PM
Just with the yellow light, you will end up with algae on those rocks, especially shining right down on top of them. The compartment that my scrubber was in always filled with algae on bottom and walls.

Dans85
04/07/2015, 06:36 PM
What you are trying to do kind of sounds like an upflow ATS. I've never seen one that was horizontal, but it might be possible. Why not build a conventional waterfall style? It would take up a lot less room and might be more efficient.

MitchSutherland
04/08/2015, 07:07 AM
Why not just do a hang on the glass style, with an air stone? They are relatively easy to make and you don't have to worry about plumbing it in to your system or separately. It would be totally submerged as well. AND no light sitting over the tank then. Just on the outside. I tried to do a Waterfall style, but I was sick of worrying about bulbs getting wet, spray from it being clogged, and it not flowing over the hole screen properly.