PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Max 250 owners with custom sump

Canuck007
03/04/2015, 12:44 PM
I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a RSM 250. I was wondering from some of you who have it if you have done a separate sump underneath and if it's worth doing it that way vs a regular tank and sump underneath. Main reason for the sump underneath is for a good skimmer because I hear the RSM skimmer is not that good and very loud.

I'm considering it because I like the clean look of the RSM 250 and I'm getting a good deal on it. Thanks!

Mark9
03/04/2015, 01:38 PM
I have a rsm250 running the stock skimmer.
Once you get it dialed in, works like a champ.
You need an ATO to keep your water level consistent in the sump.
I also bypassed the stock air valve, it was just too damn hard to turn.
Put in a simple valve, made it much easier to adjust.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/bigmark9/Aquarium/P1070752_zps9eaa9e68.jpg

Reef Frog
03/04/2015, 02:15 PM
Life Reef makes an excellent overflow/sump combo that will always restart after power failure. But it's expensive and I cant see the point personally. The rear sump can perform most every function you need, although an in cabinet sump is definitely more convenient.

If all you're worried about is the skimmer, I say give the stock one a chance. Like the post above says, good operation is dependent on a constant water level (on the older model RSM250) and an ATO will do that for you. The Sicce pump is excellent & noise is no problem, at least for me. Like most other tanks, I'd plan for a second power head in the tank if you're going to keep stony corals.

Canuck007
03/04/2015, 02:35 PM
Mark9 and reef frog...thanks for the replies. i'll definitely give it a chance with stock. i have an ATO so hopefully that will cut down on the skimmer issue.
But is it loud?? People talk about how loud it is...

Also is the waterline in your tanks a bit low...below the rim of the plastic so it's noticable?

Thanks!

Canuck007
03/04/2015, 03:01 PM
could you also post a pic of your float valve setup for the ato...

Reef Frog
03/04/2015, 04:27 PM
Mark9 and reef frog...thanks for the replies. i'll definitely give it a chance with stock. i have an ATO so hopefully that will cut down on the skimmer issue.
But is it loud?? People talk about how loud it is...

Also is the waterline in your tanks a bit low...below the rim of the plastic so it's noticable?

Thanks!

Well, you can hear it. But it's a low hum. Doesn't bother me. I can't hear it with a TV or music in the room. I was just reading about people who are ultra sensitive to noise, there is even a named syndrome! I've heard much worse from skimmers & return pumps in conventional tanks. Many of the people who call it load are likely on their first SW aquarium IMO.

The waterline can be changed with the adjustable weir so that you can't see it from the front or the sides, which I like. Any adjustment of the weir can change how the skimmer operates - from overflowing to no more bubbles. To tune this skimmer, it's done by weir setting, water level as viewed in the glass port, left side and the air intake. I would try turning the air valve on 100%, set the weir to the level you like and adjust the water volume so it's on notch 2 or 3 on the glass viewer. Once skimming is satisfactory you set the ATO for that level. It may take some time to get it right at first, but it's quite easy after that. Remember that young tanks often have little to nothing to skim.

Canuck007
03/04/2015, 04:46 PM
Great tips. I'll definitely try that. This is actually an existing tank that I'm buying so the coral and about 5 fish will come with it and i'll be transfering a few fish and few corals from my existing tank and using some of the water from those tanks.

So it's possible to run the skimmer properly will still having the waterline where you want it meaning it's not visible from the front? Not a big deal really but I'd rather have it not showing.

Also if have the ATO in the 2nd chamber where the media filters are then each time you remove/replacing media filters you have to take the ATO float out correct? Is that a pain?

thanks

Reef Frog
03/04/2015, 09:07 PM
Yes you can operate the skimmer at the water level you like or find best visually. From there the things you can control are (1) the actual amount of water in the tank and (2) the amount of air coming through the Venturi.

Tip: The air knob is a little hard to get a grip on. If you attach a little 2 way air valve w the screw adjustment knob and put it on the end of the neoprene air hose, it's much easier to adjust.

Actually you don't want to use the media chamber (next to the filter floss insert) bc the water level will vary if you reset the weir. Instead use the furthest right chamber under the chiller accessory - the water level there is constant. It can be a tight fit but most ATOs will fit but you may want to check first before committing to a purchase.

Reef Frog
03/04/2015, 09:08 PM
Yes you can operate the skimmer at the water level you like or find best visually. From there the things you can control are (1) the actual amount of water in the tank and (2) the amount of air coming through the Venturi.

Tip: The air knob is a little hard to get a grip on. If you attach a little 2 way air valve w the screw adjustment knob and put it on the end of the neoprene air hose, it's much easier to adjust.

Actually you don't want to use the media chamber (next to the filter floss insert) bc the water level will vary if you reset the weir. Instead use the furthest right chamber under the chiller accessory - the water level there is constant. It can be a tight fit but most ATOs will fit but you may want to check first before committing to a purchase.

Reef Frog
03/04/2015, 09:10 PM
Double post.

The pic by mark9 is what I'm talking about re: the air valve.

Mark9
03/05/2015, 07:31 AM
could you also post a pic of your float valve setup for the ato...

I put my sensor in the left area, above the large foam filter.
You can see it barely in the window, but more importantly, this shows the level I keep the water at, between 2 & 3.
I have the ATO water return where the heater is.
You didn't say if have the new model or the old, mine is the old.
If you have the old, make sure you push the large (left) foam filter down to ensure you get no micro bubbles.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/bigmark9/Aquarium/P1070462_zps917aeeae.jpg

Mark9
03/05/2015, 07:36 AM

Thanks!

I set my waterline "just" below the plastic.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/bigmark9/Aquarium/P1080831_zps92856427.jpg

Canuck007
03/05/2015, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Very nice tank Mark9.

Are you glad you got this tank? Also can you tell me the inside dimension of the cabinet on one side if you were to say put a sump inside?

Thank you

Mark9
03/05/2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Very nice tank Mark9.

Are you glad you got this tank? Also can you tell me the inside dimension of the cabinet on one side if you were to say put a sump inside?

Thank you

I love the tank.
I specifically bought this tank as I feel it looks really nice and I also wanted to avoid the potential of having a sump related flood.
As the stand is divided into 2 sections, some people cut out the middle section to fit a large enough sump.
Personally, i wouldn't do it as this tank is designed as a AIO.
I believe lifereef builds a sump for the rsm.
Check out reef sanctuary, as couple people have sumped their rsm.
But, beware of the clique, newbies really aren't that welcome.

Canuck007
03/05/2015, 10:07 AM
So you think it can handle a pretty heavy bioload the way it is and doing biweekly water changes?

Mark9
03/05/2015, 11:42 AM
So you think it can handle a pretty heavy bioload the way it is and doing biweekly water changes?

yes