PDA

View Full Version : Should I Allow Bubble Algae to Grow in my Fuge?

Scott07
03/04/2015, 12:57 PM
I have an aquaclear 70 converted into a HOB fuge. I started with a ball of cheato which was doing well for some time, but slowed it's growth after I started running a phosban reactor to take care of phosphates. Now my HOB fuge is mostly dominated by bubble algae. Should I allow the bubble algae to remain in there as a means of nutrient export? Or should I remove it all and start over with cheato? Is the BA in the fuge contributing to, or impeding BA growth in my display?

lboud39
03/04/2015, 01:35 PM
I have BA even with low nutrients. I would knock it out as much as possible in your fuge if you can.

FraggledRock
03/04/2015, 03:25 PM
emerald crabs is what comes to mind.

put an emerald in, take your other good macro algae out and let it go to town. then move the crab to a different place and put your good macro algae back in.

ca1ore
03/04/2015, 05:41 PM
I would remove as much of the bubble algae as you can. Do it with the main pump off so as to not spread the spores around your tank.

Scott07
03/04/2015, 05:46 PM
emerald crabs is what comes to mind.

put an emerald in, take your other good macro algae out and let it go to town. then move the crab to a different place and put your good macro algae back in.

I do have an emerald crab in the display. He does eat some of the BA in there... but prefers anything easier to get at first. I'm not sure he would really be able to handle the BA in the fuge, as it's pretty much a solid brick that's formed around the cheato "superstructure" lol. It would be pretty easy to remove all of it from the fuge and just start over with cheato in there, but I haven't done so yet just because I wasn't entirely sure it wasn't in some way beneficial. Perhaps bubble algae growing in the fuge = bubble algae not growing in the display? If anyone can tell me otherwise, I'll remove it from the fuge immediately... just don't want to get rid of something which may be helping?

BeanMachine
03/04/2015, 05:51 PM
I do have an emerald crab in the display. He does eat some of the BA in there... but prefers anything easier to get at first. I'm not sure he would really be able to handle the BA in the fuge, as it's pretty much a solid brick that's formed around the cheato "superstructure" lol. It would be pretty easy to remove all of it from the fuge and just start over with cheato in there, but I haven't done so yet just because I wasn't entirely sure it wasn't in some way beneficial. Perhaps bubble algae growing in the fuge = bubble algae not growing in the display? If anyone can tell me otherwise, I'll remove it from the fuge immediately... just don't want to get rid of something which may be helping?

Bubble Algae can be one of the harder algaes to deal with / remove from a display so if you can get it out easily that is what I would recommend.

cloak
03/04/2015, 05:59 PM
If you don't mind Diatoms, Cyanobacteria, GHA, Chaeto or any other type of algae growing in your refuge, I don't see why Valonia would be the exception. Just keep your eyes peeled for any popping up in the DT. GL.

Scott07
03/05/2015, 07:32 PM
Appreciate the replies everyone! I think I'll remove as much as I can of it from the fuge this weekend. I do have BA in the display... and have been battling it for a while now. Knock on wood.. but I think I'm finally making headway each week with my WC and maintenance schedule. Nitrates are undetectable, and phosphates are kept in check (0.02-0.04) with my reactor... so I don't believe it's a nutrient problem. Just darn tough stuff to deal with.