PDA

View Full Version : Using beach sand from Panama City florida

One fish
03/04/2015, 04:00 PM
Hello guys. I have a house down by San destin, florida and just went on vacation for two weeks. I brought back about 40lbs of dry white sand. Does anyone have any experience with using self-gathered sand instead of store bought? Or have any links? Anything I can read or get opinions or from you guys would be super! Thanks.310194

FraggledRock
03/04/2015, 04:04 PM
if its dry, i guess not a big deal, but it MAY contain silicates and release whatever chemicals that ended up in the surrounding waters of that area which will fuel nuisances....

mcozad829
03/04/2015, 04:22 PM
I have actually used sand from san destin also and never noticed any difference between it and other sand. Some places that are doing beach restoration truck in sand that is more like play sand so if you got it from one of those spots you may have silicates. On another note a person told me a while after i had collected the sand that it was illegal. I never looked into it, but its something to consider.

Salty Cracker
03/04/2015, 05:10 PM
Don't worry about that BP oil spill... I'm sure the sand is just fine.

mcgyvr
03/04/2015, 05:11 PM
On another note a person told me a while after i had collected the sand that it was illegal.

Yes it is.
We have ascertained the physical address for forum member One Fish and will be sending an officer by shortly.

:D

Kenmx10
03/04/2015, 05:14 PM
The sand in the panhandle is made of quartz. Thats why it is so white.

mcozad829
03/04/2015, 07:08 PM
Yes it is.
We have ascertained the physical address for forum member One Fish and will be sending an officer by shortly.

:D

i guess the tang police are real and moonlight as the sand police :lol2:

Jeff38
03/04/2015, 07:11 PM
Don't worry about that BP oil spill... I'm sure the sand is just fine.

LOL! :p

One fish
03/07/2015, 11:48 PM
Yeah that Bp spill was unfortunate. I haven't fueld my car at a bp since.
Great, I am going to wash it out. But I picked a Dry clean area where I didn't think they had brought play sand in and an area where not a lot of people go to. So hopefully I won't find any ciggarette butts. Will Quartz make a difference? I love how white it is that's why I wanted to try it.

I have actually used sand from san destin also and never noticed any difference between it and other sand. Some places that are doing beach restoration truck in sand that is more like play sand so if you got it from one of those spots you may have silicates. On another note a person told me a while after i had collected the sand that it was illegal. I never looked into it, but its something to consider.

Cool! I'm ready to experiment with it.

billdogg
03/08/2015, 07:30 AM
Quartz (or silica) based sand, if you look at it under magnification, has sharp edges. Natural aragonite sand is rounded over. That makes it much nicer for any sand dwellong critters that you might want.

Phildirt
03/08/2015, 09:39 AM
The sand in the panhandle is made of quartz. Thats why it is so white.

This. While there are some sand grain size pieces of shells broken up within the sand, it is predominately quartz. Also, it may cause a diatom boom and prolong diatom issues if used.