PDA

View Full Version : 10gal Sump build HELP before going ahead

clarityreef
03/04/2015, 07:17 PM
I want to make a 10 gal sump for my 25 gal tank. It will also double as a area to put some of my frags. Display Tank is 35mm drilled with one ouflow and one return pipe. Return pipe I intend to have an extended nozzle (duck billed) to manage flow direction. No wier.
The sump Im still working on the design. After many forums and plenty of reading I have got this pic:
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a495/clarityreef/sump%20idea%20_zps4hfrqhdr.jpg

Will be getting a custom made tank only 50Lx30Dx35Hcm otherwise will find a cheap tank with same design but revisions made.
Installing the Baffles myself using Acrylic/perspex sheets.

Planning to use the reef octopus 110 protein skimmer but unsure if it is too big for my tank and total volume (about 35gal) .
Alternate is the Bubble Magus NAC3.5 Protein Skimmer

Return pump. Still deciding...

Opinions on the design?
thanks

worm5406
03/04/2015, 09:41 PM
I have busted 2 sumps using acrylic as the baffle. I switched to glass and have had ZERO problems. I had a local glass shop cut and then bevel/sand the edges as to not get cut (or fish get cut).

You definitely want the baffles to keep the water in the skimmer section constant at all times, regardless of cycling pumps or low water. An overflowed skimmer back into a tank can cause havoc.