PDA

View Full Version : What to glue frag plugs to rock work

TDB
03/04/2015, 09:13 PM
Like it says what does everyone use to adhere frag plugs to rock work ?

SnoopyDaPimp
03/04/2015, 09:32 PM
I use gel super glue. Put the glue on the frag and let it hang out 20ish seconds in the air then place it on the rock and hold it for another 20ish seconds. I have read that other people use a sandwich method of super glue, 2 part epoxy, glue, two part epoxy. I have never tried it but some people seem to swear by it.

ssc
03/04/2015, 09:44 PM
gel super glue works great

GilliganReef
03/04/2015, 10:28 PM
Loctite super glue gel. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/04/45f3b47fbec8fdd986e852ecf6cba9cc.jpg

TangingOut
03/04/2015, 10:34 PM
I use gel super glue. Put the glue on the frag and let it hang out 20ish seconds in the air then place it on the rock and hold it for another 20ish seconds. I have read that other people use a sandwich method of super glue, 2 part epoxy, glue, two part epoxy. I have never tried it but some people seem to swear by it.

I use this method, but it's only one layer of 2 part with crazy glue GEL on each side. I use the loctite brand pictured above and for the epoxy I use jb water weld.

gone fishin
03/05/2015, 05:43 AM
I use this method, but it's only one layer of 2 part with crazy glue GEL on each side. I use the loctite brand pictured above and for the epoxy I use jb water weld.

How I have done it for a number of years.

CuzzA
03/05/2015, 05:54 AM
A 10 pack of super glue gel at Harbor Freight for $3. I leave it in my bar fridge. The cold will help to maintain the gel over long periods of time without use.

stscream4187
03/05/2015, 06:42 AM
I use 2 part epoxy when gluing the plugs to rocks, but if it just the coral I am gluing down, I use super glue.

biomek
03/05/2015, 08:56 AM
I forgo the plugs and mount my frags to small pieces of rock rubble once i move them from QT into my display. makes it easier for me to move them around if necessary until I find the sweet spot. Once that's found, I use a combination of super glue gel and 2 part epoxy.

NTP66
03/05/2015, 09:04 AM
Loctite super glue gel. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/04/45f3b47fbec8fdd986e852ecf6cba9cc.jpg

+1

FWIW, Gorilla Super Glue Gel is awful for this purpose. I couldn't get it to work at all on any of my new mushroom frags, and wound up running to Lowes to grab Loctite to finish the job, which is did easily.

FraggledRock
03/05/2015, 09:24 AM
IC Gel

Goldndoodle
03/05/2015, 09:28 AM
I'm having problems getting a couple of bigger corals to stick to rock work with just the Lactite Super Glue Gel. Is this the JB Water Weld Epoxy?

biomek
03/05/2015, 10:03 AM
yeah, i've used water weld to secure pieces of live rock together and it works great. may cause your skimmer to freak out at first. you could use that on frags as well. I try to use the purple coraline color epoxy on my frags. JB Weld will stand out like crazy at first being bright white/gray but in time, it blends right it.

TangingOut
03/05/2015, 10:15 AM
I'm having problems getting a couple of bigger corals to stick to rock work with just the Lactite Super Glue Gel. Is this the JB Water Weld Epoxy?

Yeah, that's the one. Like biomek said, it'll stand out being white and all until it gets covered in algae. I've thought about adding a little food coloring, but don't know how safe that'll be. Also the only time it freaked my skimmer was when I used a lot to attach rocks, otherwise I've done up to 4 frags without issue.

Jason S
03/05/2015, 10:37 AM
Just don't glue the frag to your finger... true story

Goldndoodle
03/05/2015, 01:59 PM
Yeah, that's the one. Like biomek said, it'll stand out being white and all until it gets covered in algae. I've thought about adding a little food coloring, but don't know how safe that'll be. Also the only time it freaked my skimmer was when I used a lot to attach rocks, otherwise I've done up to 4 frags without issue.

Thanks for the confirmation!

TDB
03/06/2015, 05:06 PM
So it appears that JB water we'll is the consensus here to attach plugs/rock on your existing rock work in the tank. I have used super glue gel to attach frags to plugs but not to attach rocks to rock or plugs to rocks

Is it best to remove the plug from the frag and glue the frag directly on the existing rock in the tank ?

Can you buy the water weld at your local hardware store ?

NTP66
03/06/2015, 05:32 PM
So it appears that JB water we'll is the consensus here to attach plugs/rock on your existing rock work in the tank. I have used super glue gel to attach frags to plugs but not to attach rocks to rock or plugs to rocks

Is it best to remove the plug from the frag and glue the frag directly on the existing rock in the tank ?

Can you buy the water weld at your local hardware store ?

JB Water Weld worked well for me in securing my rock work together (note that it takes a LONG time before you'll ever see coralline algae cover it up if you can see any of it), but I've never used it for frags. I always pull the coral off the plug and glue whatever the coral was attached to (in my case, either rubble rock or shells) directly to the rock. Water Weld just seems overkill to me unless we're talking about larger coral. Plus, it's a cleaner look when you remove the plug.

TDB
03/07/2015, 07:20 AM
The water weld is for attaching plugs to rock work but I am now just thinking about removing the plugs and using super glue to attach just the coral to the rock in my tank

tmz
03/07/2015, 10:10 AM
For fixing it to live rock, I use a small wad of expoxy ( two little fishes brand) with some super glue gell on the bottom which is pushed into the rock. Then a frag plug with some super glue gel on the bottom is pushed into the epoxy./ The exposy gives off heat when it cures; so avoid contact with the coral flesh.