PDA

View Full Version : Green Hair Algae

Louis1959
03/04/2015, 10:49 PM
Okay ! Looks like the Vodka Dosing is starting to take control of PO4 & NO3, I think.
Dating back to 2/18/2015, I've been tracking my chemistry every other day.

I've done two 10% water changes during this time period. It has been suggested to increase the % of water being replaced.

My NO3 has been hovering for the last 8 days at ~5.0 ppm ± 0.5 ppm, and my last Nitrate reading was undetectable with API test kit.
My PO4 has been hovering 0.1 and less ppm during this same time period, today's reading was 0.05 ppm.

I figure I want to hover where I am at dosage wise (1.0 ml / day) for a 2 week span to ensure the GHA does not come back. Im hoping during this time period the GHA disappates. if this becomes the case, I will cut back by an amount of 0.25 ml/day and see how that goes.

Everyone who has chimed in on my questions with answers , thank you all for all your help.
I am sure I will be back with more.

nmotz
03/05/2015, 02:27 AM
You got any macroalgae in the tank? Using macroalgae might get you a little closer to eliminating those pesky nutrients. Trick is you have to be patient for it to absorb them.

Louis1959
03/05/2015, 06:59 AM
You got any macroalgae in the tank? Using macroalgae might get you a little closer to eliminating those pesky nutrients. Trick is you have to be patient for it to absorb them.

Hi, macro algae being what specifically? I am new to the salt water marine world. And not quite sure of all of the lingo and acronyms the site uses. I have three juvenile red mangrove plants , which were thriving initially, but their growth has slowed since I started the vodka dosing.
What else is considered macroalgae?

Kyle461
03/05/2015, 07:05 AM
Chaeto stated to knock down my nitrates almost immediately.