PDA

View Full Version : TLF in a Series?

CowDoc09
03/04/2015, 11:06 PM
I am starting a new reef, and am planning on running GFO and Carbon. My question is whether anyone has ran 2 TLF 150 reactors in a series. The outflow of the first chamber will be the influx for the next one. Just a thought I had to eliminate a pump. I'd rather not mix the 2 in the same reactor. I plan to put a ball valve between the pump and first reactor; and then another valve between the 1st and 2nd reactor.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

alexander_ktn
03/05/2015, 03:22 AM
I plan to put a ball valve between the pump and first reactor; and then another valve between the 1st and 2nd reactor.

I'm sure it should be doable, but having 2 ball valves at different places essentially will only do as much as the one valve that has been dialed down the most.

If you want to have different flows in the reactors a T-valve or similar might be better. That way the first reactor can have more flow than the second (not vice versa ;) ).

Breadman03
03/05/2015, 07:33 AM
You would be better off running one pump into a manifold so that each reactor would have independent flow since carbon uses much lower flow than GFO.

CowDoc09
03/05/2015, 09:27 AM
That's prob a better way to go. All it would take is a T.

Thanks

Larz_1
03/05/2015, 09:38 AM
I run 2 TLF150 reactors in series.
GFO in the first one and GAC in the second.

I used to run them off of one Maxi-Jet 1200 on my old system with the TLF valve before the first reactor.

On my new 120-I have a manifold off of my return pump that runs them with a ball valve feeding the first reactor.

I have had no problems doing it this way at all.

CowDoc09
03/05/2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks Larz.

I think either option would work, but if they are in a series, the whole setup would "look cleaner" in the sump.

Guygettnby
03/06/2015, 07:01 AM
You would be better off running one pump into a manifold so that each reactor would have independent flow since carbon uses much lower flow than GFO.

+1 this is what I do.