PDA

View Full Version : Need to make a change - going FOWLR

brett559
03/05/2015, 12:07 AM
I've had my reef tank for about 6 months now. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, but I think I need to make a change. I recently gave away my copperband because I was not able to keep him fed. With him gone, my aiptasias are coming back!

The idea of a losing battle is not something that I can do. I am pretty OCD and I find that the rigors of a reef tank (testing water, dosing, worrying about aiptasias, etc.) is no longer enjoyable for me.

I got into this hobby for the fish. I love my fish and they are doing well. I am seriously thinking about selling my corals and adding a permanent aiptasia solution. I haven't spent much on corals - most of my frags I got at a frag swap. But I would like to recoup what I can.

That being said, what is the best aiptasia slayer? My son has always liked raccoon butterflyfish. I know they will eat anything and everything, and I'm okay with that. I want a tank where I don't have to worry as much. A tank that I can enjoy instead of worry about. I'm not cut out to be a reefer. I love fish, not corals.

Any ideas on the best aiptasia controller? Any chance my bubbletip anemone would survive. It's huge and two clowns have been hosted for months. I'd like to keep that if I could.

Thanks!

rkh666
03/05/2015, 05:27 AM
I have had the best success with peppermint shrimp. I think most will tell you that its hit and miss and they are correct. I believe there is a nudibranch that can also decimate aiptasia but I have never kept one and am unsure if they pick at anything else.

Rob

CuzzA
03/05/2015, 05:46 AM
Aiptasia is only a pest when you have corals, so if you're going fowlr then I wouldn't worry about it. They're not the ugliest thing you could have growing in your tank, so I would let them be or if they bother you then add some peppermint shrimp.

biomek
03/05/2015, 08:58 AM
my filefish took care of all of mine in under 30 days and haven't had any pop back up in the 6 months since.

FraggledRock
03/05/2015, 09:30 AM
im going FOWLR for a few months after my crash to get everything stable.

right now my tank is "FCUCLR" Fishless Clean Up Crew with Live Rok LOL

Indymann99
03/05/2015, 11:14 AM
my filefish took care of all of mine in under 30 days and haven't had any pop back up in the 6 months since.

+1 on the Filefish. cleaned up 300+ aptasia in 2 weeks or so. He does keep a small "garden" of 2-3 on one rock. snack stash.

BigCountry74
03/05/2015, 11:22 AM
Sell the stock, drain it and take it down for a few. Find another hobby. Then a few years down the road pull it back out and reboot if something motivates you. There is nothing wrong or shameful in that. :D

That's what I normally do when I start hitting the wall with my hobbies :D

Remember this is just a hobby :D