PDA

View Full Version : 125 gallon fish only tank

MrSchertz
03/05/2015, 12:07 AM
Here for advice and opinions. Im picking up a brand new 125 gallon tomorrow. Its the standard size. I plan on doing a fish only tank with lots of small fish,probably a damsel tank. Im on the fence with filtration. I thought about using two Aquaclear 110s hob filters(500gph each) because they have always been great for me on my fresh water tanks. I know this is salt water so its a new ball game. My other thought on filtration was two very large power heads,one in each corner with large sponge filters on the intakes. I got this idea from a lfs that runs a 7ft 200 gallon old school oceanic tank. Its a fish only tank with medium to large fish and has been setup that way for years. what do you all think?

jbvdhp
03/05/2015, 01:00 AM
Here for advice and opinions. Im picking up a brand new 125 gallon tomorrow. Its the standard size. I plan on doing a fish only tank with lots of small fish,probably a damsel tank. Im on the fence with filtration. I thought about using two Aquaclear 110s hob filters(500gph each) because they have always been great for me on my fresh water tanks. I know this is salt water so its a new ball game. My other thought on filtration was two very large power heads,one in each corner with large sponge filters on the intakes. I got this idea from a lfs that runs a 7ft 200 gallon old school oceanic tank. Its a fish only tank with medium to large fish and has been setup that way for years. what do you all think?

It may be doable short term, but you'll probably need upgraded filtration in the near future, as I can't imagine you having a 125 gallon damsel only tank, although you could and nothing wrong with that.

Skimmers are always good for removing organics, but not everyone uses them. Personally, I've seen a few pretty successful tanks running HOB filters.

JMorris271
03/05/2015, 07:36 AM
What kind of bio will you be using?

lifeoffaith
03/05/2015, 08:29 AM
I'd think long and hard about a damsel tank. Damsels can be outright mean, and you will eventually want to add something other than a damsel. They are also very hard to catch without ripping apart your whole aquascape. Just a thought. That being said, there are some really cool looking damsels, and having a tank teaming with a bunch of small shoaling fish might be pretty cool. Plus they're usually pretty inexpensive.

MrSchertz
03/05/2015, 08:39 AM
I plan to use the large boulder(soccer ball size) black lava rock for aquascaping.