PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia out of control

ReeferIndy
03/05/2015, 06:36 AM
i have a 29 gallon biocube. Corals are growing well and the water is crystal clear. Problem is I have the worst outbreak of aptasia I have ever had. I am increasing water change frequency and turning up the mini skimmer. Any other ideas how to get rid of the stuff?

CxLxYxDxEx
03/05/2015, 06:42 AM
Peppermint shrimp, but you have to understand they are hit and miss when it comes to eating it. Another is a cure made by Red Sea you inject it directly into it.

stscream4187
03/05/2015, 06:45 AM
I have had great success with Aiptasia X by Red Sea. The difference is as soon as I see one in the tank I get rid of it so they don't spread. I don't know how this would work with an outbreak. Just something to consider.

lifeoffaith
03/05/2015, 06:58 AM
+1 on Peppermint Shrimp. I'd get a few. Mine have always done a great job anytime I see a new Aiptasia in the tank.

smedlin
03/05/2015, 07:38 AM
Water changes and skimming won't do anything to get rid of them.

Five or six ago, I had some of those in my 150G tank. I think it snuck in on some coral I got from my LFS.

"Some" is an understatement.

I had no ideal what they were. I didn't like them. So I tried killing them by chopping them up. You can guess how that went. :sad2:

Eventually I found them on the net. "O.. that's what they are..and chopping em up.. yea.. not a good ideal".

Aiptasia X by Red Sea works great. I liked seeing them implode. Made me feel good.

But I could never get them all. If you miss a single one, they keep spreading.

So I got five or six Peppermint Shrimp (remember, 150G tank..). And they ate all the Aiptasia.

I'd start with the Aiptasia X. Having a smaller tank, maybe you can get/control them all.

If that fails, get some Peppermint Shrimp. But be aware of what CxLxYxDxEx said... Not all peppermint shrimp will eat them. Some will, some will not.

ssc
03/05/2015, 08:26 AM
4 or 5 peppermint shrimp should work but I used the Alptasia X on the larger ones the shrimp seemed to stay away from them Good Luck

biomek
03/05/2015, 08:53 AM
My matted filefish took care of all of mine which was around 50 or so in less than 30 days in my DT. An all around awesome fish.

Sk8r
03/05/2015, 10:41 AM
Your best shot with peps is to try to get some juveniles. At least they're funny and amusing if they turn out to be duds.

SnoopyDaPimp
03/05/2015, 10:49 AM
berghia nudibranch worked great for me

Read This (http://www.saltyunderground.com/index.php?cPath=6)

stscream4187
03/05/2015, 10:54 AM

These look interesting.. What happens when they eat all the aiptasia? Do they go to coral next? Or just die off?

mcgyvr
03/05/2015, 11:25 AM
These look interesting.. What happens when they eat all the aiptasia? Do they go to coral next? Or just die off?

They die..

I don't know why anyone would use a nudi for it.. Well that comment comes from how damn expensive they are.

LakeGirl
03/05/2015, 11:46 AM
Try a Sump Rock Spa using Peppermint Shrimp

Peppermint shrimp in the Display Tank may not work if they prefer other foods that you are offering. I also had problems with p. shrimp attacking bubble-tipped anemones-- and losing that battle. I had good luck isolating ~ 5-6 shrimp in a sump, not feeding the shrimp anything other than the aptasia offering, and then rotating pieces of infested live rock through what I affectionately called the "Rock Spa." Just one day or two, and the rock would be picked clean, and then on to the next piece.

It was fun to watch when a new rock was introduced, the shrimp would immediately begin hunting and attacking specimens. Very satisfying to watch after battling these creatures for months using all the other methods.

mcgyvr
03/05/2015, 11:48 AM
"Rock Spa".. how cute.

reefwiser
03/05/2015, 12:36 PM

+1 on the berghia nudibranch they are killers of aptasia.

billdogg
03/05/2015, 04:40 PM
Although time consuming, IMHO the best way to get rid of them is one by one. A syringe full of boiling water will allow you to cook them where the sit without adding any chemical to the tank. ( even kalk paste can backfire on you if you use too much)

As for peppermint shrimp - as mentioned, they are just a maybe - not a sure thing. The filefish will probably work but may go after other polyps when the Aiptasia are gone. The Nudibranch will also work, but are sometimes difficult to find, and it will certainly die when it runs out of food.

SnoopyDaPimp
03/05/2015, 04:42 PM
I used them because I was not successful with peppermint shrimp. When I was done I gave them away to other people that needed them before they died. Believe me, paying $100 for seven berghia was not ideal but I have not seen any aiptasia for more than four months.

nuxx
03/05/2015, 05:18 PM

This.

madweazl
03/05/2015, 05:25 PM
I tried Aiptasia X and it didnt do much. It would knock them down but it was pretty rare for an actual kill. After a month, they back in full force.