PDA

View Full Version : Is she dying???

NOsushi4me
03/05/2015, 09:43 AM
Please help ... It is a giant slit pore gorgonian and she has not opened up in about 4 days. And today she has this strange spike coming from her head. I call her Marge bc when I got her ... She reminded me on Marge Simpson's hair.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/66f3cae034ba3fed28e168333d2f9fbc.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/f61a5a5fe2c93bfcb2cd40eca9a9abef.jpg
She used to look like this but purple:
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/867d41904338b1dbbe2d43610663e393.jpg

FraggledRock
03/05/2015, 09:44 AM
sorry to break it to you, but it looks a goner... i would still leave it.

what happened recently?

what is your water parameters?

Jason S
03/05/2015, 09:48 AM
Sadly, the tissue on the top is dying, and it will likely spread down. Gorgonians can be pretty finicky to keep which adds to it, and once they start to go, it is usually fast. Can you tell us more about your tank? Age, lighting, flow, parameters, etc?

NOsushi4me
03/05/2015, 09:53 AM
sorry to break it to you, but it looks a goner... i would still leave it.

what happened recently?

what is your water parameters?

Thanks for the quick response ... Just out of curiosity ... Why would you leave it? Just to be positive that it is dying?

NOsushi4me
03/05/2015, 09:54 AM
Sadly, the tissue on the top is dying, and it will likely spread down. Gorgonians can be pretty finicky to keep which adds to it, and once they start to go, it is usually fast. Can you tell us more about your tank? Age, lighting, flow, parameters, etc?

Here is a link to what happened recently ... However the ammonia has subsided:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2485079

FraggledRock
03/05/2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the quick response ... Just out of curiosity ... Why would you leave it? Just to be positive that it is dying?

sometimes parts of it could still live (best case scenario)

or it may possibly make a comeback if water parameters become better/back to stability.

I try to stay optimistic even in the face of adversity.

i still think my Acans will make it. Its just a blank frag plug with a skeleton now LOL

FraggledRock
03/05/2015, 09:59 AM
Here is a link to what happened recently ... However the ammonia has subsided:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2485079

so was it in fact really 8ppm?

NOsushi4me
03/05/2015, 10:00 AM
Oh wow ok ... Thank you so much for the info. I was going to take it out today but now I may not. I was also worried about it dying and causing other things in my tank to die.

alexander_ktn
03/05/2015, 10:00 AM
As a general rule I like to keep corals in the tank even if they look bad, very often they make a recovery when the issues that caused the decline are resolved. So good luck with the gorgonian.

The only exception would be things with a ton of biomass, like large anemones that start dissolving, just because they might overwhelm the filter capacity of the tank... Those need to be removed.

FraggledRock
03/05/2015, 10:03 AM
you could try to frag it.

clip off the dead part.

then cut the remain piece in half and glue it somewhere..

this way the dead part wont spread. im not 100% on how to frag a gorgon, but bit of research could help.

NOsushi4me
03/05/2015, 10:04 AM
Ok cool ... Thanks a lot guys! I will keep you posted

alexander_ktn
03/05/2015, 10:08 AM
I would leave it alone if it does not recede more - the "spine" of these gorgonians is quite hard to cut (normal scissors won't really work in my experience) and since the issue was with the water parameters and not a bacterial infection or similar I see no reason to stress the animal further by fragging it.

FraggledRock
03/05/2015, 10:13 AM
I would leave it alone if it does not recede more - the "spine" of these gorgonians is quite hard to cut (normal scissors won't really work in my experience) and since the issue was with the water parameters and not a bacterial infection or similar I see no reason to stress the animal further by fragging it.

good point.

i was just offering alternative possibilities.

alexander_ktn
03/05/2015, 10:19 AM
Yeah it was a valid suggestion and if the coral recedes a lot more I'd probably try something like that, too, but if the animal still looks like on the first few pics it should be able to recover and regrow the tip on its own.

I had gorgonian branches in the sand for weeks where the tips looked the same and they regrew tissue over the spine once they were out of the sand.

Jason S
03/05/2015, 10:35 AM
As a general rule I like to keep corals in the tank even if they look bad, very often they make a recovery when the issues that caused the decline are resolved. So good luck with the gorgonian.

The only exception would be things with a ton of biomass, like large anemones that start dissolving, just because they might overwhelm the filter capacity of the tank... Those need to be removed.

This is great advice. Years ago, I had a tank leak that eventually led to a crash where I lost nearly everything. I left a frogspawn skeleton in there because it had a Yuma on it's base, and after a few weeks, it started to grow new heads out of the original stalks. I still have that frogspawn to this day, and I have split it once, fragged heads off many times, and I now have two frogspawn colonies that are each the size of large grapefruits.

jasonandsarah
03/05/2015, 04:58 PM
It needs more flow then the sand bed is providing. I have a purple candlebra gorgonian that has to be right in front of a Rw15 or it starts getting unhappy.
Most photosynthetic gorgonians need lots of flow and light

CCMASNORY
03/05/2015, 05:40 PM
Take it out and touch it if it's feels like sand then that's the dead tissue what ever is slimmi is good cut the dead tissue off when you cut that part off glue it so nothing grows on the live tissue give it a fresh water dip and put it in a high flow spot any type of alge on it will cause it to close up in tell it dies the fresh water dip well kill the alge it well come back to life

anthonys51
03/05/2015, 10:34 PM
I took a drag from my friends tank of a gorgonians. It was dying in the middle. He gave me the tip. I put it high in my tank with go flow and it came back. And my tank was only 2 weeks old. Just what worked for me

NOsushi4me
03/06/2015, 10:03 AM
Oh wow - thanks everyone !

Sydoriakp
03/08/2015, 11:11 AM
My gorgeous opens and closes at random I've seen it shut for several days when I added it. If I look at my tank at different times it could be open closed half open.... I think alot of mine tho could be due to my shrimp crawling over it.. but I vote leave it be either until it's literally decomposing or its been engulfed in algae... even then I suppose if you caught it soon enough you could blow the algae off n help the fight....

Reeferz412
03/10/2015, 06:07 AM
Do not pull a gorg out of the water. Leave it be, maintain water parameters, induce to open by target feeding. Oyster feast, mysis, brine, anything you can mix together and turkey baste with tank water and gently shoot it at your gorg.

NOsushi4me
03/11/2015, 11:27 AM
I will keep trying ... Not looking good at all and the spike growing is getting bigger !

kegogut
03/11/2015, 11:35 AM
Also you can get some phyto and feed your tank and see if it helps.