PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to feed sun coral when they aren't opened?

babyduke
03/05/2015, 01:14 PM
I recently got sun coral and they open, 'tho not to full extent, only during the middle of the night. Would that be the only time I can feed them or should I continue to squirt frozen food into the colony even when they're closed? I don't want them to get used to being fed in the dark only.

jmareef1022
03/05/2015, 04:35 PM
Yes you have train them to get them to open when you want. .. so many ways. .. when hungry and they sense food the polyp s will extend

Sapelo
03/06/2015, 06:12 AM
Sort of depends on what else is in your tank. My cleaner shrimp and trigger would never leave extra food just sitting on the coral and I would be concerned about fouling the tank with too much excess. It is a training process.

laga77
03/06/2015, 08:13 AM
Depends on why it is not opening. Is it sick, is it not happy in your tank, is it weak from not eating? We don`t know most of the time, especially with new corals. The rule that works for me is. If the feeders are out and it will take food, feed it. I have 8 different Sun Corals which are all doing great and growing like weeds. I feed 5 times a week. They will tell you when they are full. They will stay closed for a couple of days and then will open back up. Feed them right before you go to bed. It won`t take long for them to learn when the food arrives.

babyduke
03/06/2015, 09:03 AM
Depends on why it is not opening. Is it sick, is it not happy in your tank, is it weak from not eating? We don`t know most of the time, especially with new corals. The rule that works for me is. If the feeders are out and it will take food, feed it. I have 8 different Sun Corals which are all doing great and growing like weeds. I feed 5 times a week. They will tell you when they are full. They will stay closed for a couple of days and then will open back up. Feed them right before you go to bed. It won`t take long for them to learn when the food arrives.

Like weeds? How awesome. How long do they stay open per day?

laga77
03/06/2015, 03:01 PM
Like weeds? How awesome. How long do they stay open per day?

They start to open up about an hour before the lights go out, which is 8PM. I am on a 13 hour photo period which ramps up in the morning and down in the afternoon. I feed around 9PM. They stay open all night and close when the lights come on.

Scranton
03/16/2015, 02:52 PM
They are so beautiful. It's been my experience that they survive and thrive as long as you care for them but never are they a set it and forget it piece