PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the sump.

rastamang
03/05/2015, 03:15 PM
hey guys how often do you clean your sump? my tank is a 40 gallon breeder and a 20 sump, thank you (:

FraggledRock
03/05/2015, 03:22 PM
thats my exact setup.

i recently crashed my tanks doing this exact thing.

first I ask, what do you have in your sump?

any sand? baffles? refugium?

gone fishin
03/05/2015, 03:23 PM
I clean mine maybe twice a year. During a WC I will roll the shop vac over pull out the crud.

Sk8r
03/05/2015, 03:24 PM
WEll, I'm undertaking mine along with water changes---a little siphon cleaning, a 3 gallon water change for a 100 g tank; repeat 3x a week. Again and again and again.

rastamang
03/05/2015, 03:27 PM
first chamber has 3 heaters and the skimmer, second chamber is a refugium it contains aragonite sand, live and fake rock and some macro algae third chamber is just the pump.

cloak
03/05/2015, 04:01 PM
I clean my sump every time I do a water change. I don't have a refugium or any baffles down there, so all I'm really doing is using a power head to stir up any detritus that may have settled. This gets pumped up to the DT and then a filter sock catches it on the way back down. (or it gets siphoned out during the water change)
Since this is done so often though, there's not really much down there from week to week. It's more of a courtesy flush than anything else. :D