PDA

View Full Version : Phosphates and Nitrates looking better

Louis1959
03/05/2015, 08:46 PM
Okay everyone, Phosphates and Nitrates seem to be maintaining at low levels after 3 weeks of Vodka dosing......fingers are crossed. I started at the recommended 0.25 ml/day. Now after day 23 ;

Below 0.1 ppm on last 3 readings for phosphates,
and last reading for Nitrates was undetectable, 2 previous were 2.5 & 1.0 ppm. I am on my 4th day in a row @ 1.0 ml /day Vodka Dosing.

I did a 10% water 2 days ago, cleaned almost all of the GHA out, left some hoping it will signify that the low phosphate & nitrate levels are a depleting food supply.

All of this being true, my intentions are to purchase about a dozen asst'd snails (please feel free to recommend what you all believe are the hardiest). In addition probably another 1/2 dozen Hermit crabs and possibly a konch or two.

Once I feel comfortable that my levels are where they need to be for at least 2 to 3 weeks. And I am not seeing any signs of GHA blooms. I would like to get my reef environment started.

If you guys could recommend the best choices to start with, I would greatly appreciate it.

rustyjames
03/05/2015, 10:24 PM
If the clown is doing good add some snails and let them munch on some algae. How long has the tank been running and what prompted you to start carbon dosing?

Louis1959
03/06/2015, 06:50 AM
If the clown is doing good add some snails and let them munch on some algae. How long has the tank been running and what prompted you to start carbon dosing?

My clown fish are the senior fish in the tank. It has been running for ~10/11 months now.
What prompted me to start Vodka dosing was the never ending losing battle with the green hair algae. I read that dosing is a phenomenal method to lower my nitrate and phosphates. Of course with very diligent proper care to paying attention and patience. So far so good, just a very slow ardorous process.