PDA

View Full Version : instant ocean seaclone protein skimmer

rastamang
03/05/2015, 10:07 PM
yes I'm new to protein skimmers, exactly how should i tune the skimmer? should there a tornado affect or should it be spinning and blurry or what? thank you for the help.

rastamang
03/05/2015, 10:27 PM
also whats a good skimmer for a 40 gallon breeder with a 2 gallon sump i have an instant ocean seaclone 100g skimmer now. but its crappy quality i should've just spent the extra money on a good one. which would you buy? thank you.

rustyjames
03/05/2015, 10:29 PM
I have to ask, is 2 gallon sump a typo?

Pigpen17
03/05/2015, 10:32 PM
Oh man. I rocked one of those for a looooong time.

Once it was broken in I ended up running almost full open to get the micro bubbles to stop and to have it work. That being said, I would start slow and open it more as you notice if it is skimming or not. The tornado effect is what you want, but I found that it needed to be turned up to just a tower of foam to actually work.

rastamang
03/05/2015, 10:32 PM
lol yes i meant 20

rastamang
03/05/2015, 10:34 PM
its too loud, and i want something more efficient and reliable.

Pigpen17
03/05/2015, 10:38 PM
Did you just set it up today? If so, I would give it about a week before I judged it. It has it's problems, but it will skimm.

rastamang
03/05/2015, 10:43 PM
its been set up for 2 weeks now. i just opened it some more and the water is spinning in a tornado style and is milky. some foam is coming out the top, but it is being kinda loud with a humming noise.

banthonyb71
03/05/2015, 11:14 PM
it is not the most efficient skimmer by any means. I had the seaclone.. I believe it was the sc-150. I think identical body to the 100. I couldnt stand that thing as a hang on the back for my 46 gall,, let alone running it with a sump. I was able to sell mine for a ok price on criagslist.

If you know you want the upgrade, the sooner you sell it, the better.. and I'm not sure if you are eligible yet but check the selling forums here daily. You'd be amazed out how many good deals come along my members here.

I've only been able to buy for a week or so and already I've purchased a skimmer, RO/Di, 2 reactors and in the process of buying a return pump, lights, and a wavemaker.

and its not because i have a ton of money (I don't)...It's because the deals (when I catch them) are good enough to be able to afford it.

So glad, I signed up here. Most people on Craigslist are people who are selling junk, or have no clue what somethings resale value is but yet want an insane amount of money for it. (remember the commercial.. "Don't go to a department store to buy tires") Well don't go to the General Classifieds to find a good deal on a skimmer.

People on Reef central,,,list for what someone will actually pay(most of the time)...and they are selling products that are popular and brands that we know and want.

jstephens24
03/05/2015, 11:36 PM
I returned mine and got a reef octopus 1000 for my 75 gal