PDA

View Full Version : 1 Fish, 2 Fish, which fish, first fish?

Goldndoodle
03/06/2015, 10:30 AM
So my nanoCube inhabitants will be heading into the new tank tomorrow morning. They actually completed TTM Wednesday I just haven't had time over the past couple of days to move them up to the DT - I know it wouldn't take anymore time than moving the tank, but I didn't have the time over the past couple of days to just sit and watch them once they were added to the DT ... so I gave them one more tank transfer, and I'll have all day tomorrow to watch them in their new tank.

I've already run my future fish purchases through snorvitch's thread, and there doesn't appear to be a problem with any of my choices. But now comes the "which order" question. Each fish would be purchased separately, put through 12 days of TTM, and another 18 days of QT.

I'm planning on this order ... does this sound correct?

March) mis-matched pair Ocellaris Clowns, Chromis & Firefish move from TTM to DT
April) Cardinalfish (either Bengali, or Orchestriped)
May) Diamond Watchman Goby
June) Royal Gramma
July) Citrinis Clown Goby
August) Wrasse (either McCosker's or Pink Streaked)
September) Bartlett's Anthias
October) Kole Tang
January '16) Red Mandarin (IF, and only IF, the pod population is stable)

Based on timidity, should any of those purchases be made before any of the others? I'm kind of thinking the Clown Goby is pretty docile, and maybe should be pulled up much earlier than 8th in the tank ...

ichthyogeek
03/06/2015, 04:12 PM
How big is the tank again?I think this looks pretty good order wise, but I'd switch the kole with the mandarin.

nuxx
03/06/2015, 05:20 PM
Sounds perfect.

Only things that bother new additions in our tank or Tangs and Anthias...

gone fishin
03/06/2015, 06:01 PM
I think the order you have listed looks pretty good.

Goldndoodle
03/06/2015, 06:16 PM
How big is the tank again?I think this looks pretty good order wise, but I'd switch the kole with the mandarin.

The only reason I want the Mandarin last is, I want the tank to mature for at least 12 months (which January 2nd, 2016 would be 12 months), and I want to make sure that nothing else in the tank will be dwindling the copepod population. That's why I'm giving it 2 months (Nov & Dec) after the second to last fish (Kole) - just to confirm that there is plenty of food available for the Mandy to hunt.

Tank info is in sig line (below).

Goldndoodle
03/06/2015, 06:21 PM
Sounds perfect.

Only things that bother new additions in our tank or Tangs and Anthias...

THANKS!

I researched everything, and ranked them in a spreadsheet for aggression. I know the Anthias and Kole are not consider to be vicious fish - actually fairly docile as far as aggression ranks go. But based on the EXTREMELY docile nature of almost everything else I'm planning, they're going to end up being the toughest fish in there, so I figured they needed to be near last so everyone else has time to stake out their territories.

Goldndoodle
03/06/2015, 06:22 PM
I think the order you have listed looks pretty good.

How did the screen tweak go?

gone fishin
03/06/2015, 06:25 PM
Went well. Found the $1.50 bushings and a Bosch cordless drill on sale. LOL

Goldndoodle
03/06/2015, 06:30 PM
Went well. Found the $1.50 bushings and a Bosch cordless drill on sale. LOL

I could go into Menard's for a pack of gum and end up spending $200+ on something!

gone fishin
03/06/2015, 06:41 PM
The LFS I frequent moved location last summer. Their old location was across from a Menards talk about a dangerous combo.

ichthyogeek
03/06/2015, 07:27 PM
I feel that the diamond watchman goby will eat lots of the microfauna that the mandarin will need, just a heads up there....

Goldndoodle
03/06/2015, 08:57 PM
I feel that the diamond watchman goby will eat lots of the microfauna that the mandarin will need, just a heads up there....

Again ... reasons why the Mandy will be last in the tank.

If I see the Diamond Watchman, Wrasse or any of the other inhabitants, dwindling the pod population to the point that I don't think the pods can reproduce at a fast enough rate to sustain the Mandy, then I won't torture it by trying to introduce it to the tank.

Everything else goes in the tank, IF (and only IF) the pods are still flourishing 2 months after everything else is in the tank, then I'll buy the Mandy.

Hopefully 100 lbs of very holey rock in the DT (which started out dry, so there's a LOT more rock there, compared to 100 lbs of wet/cured live rock), a 20G fuge with 20lbs of the same very holey rock and chaeto, will be a sufficient refuge for a large enough copepod population to sustain everything else AND a Mandy.

Goldndoodle
03/12/2015, 09:52 AM
LiveAquaria has the Orchestriped Cardinalfish back in stock - just ordered 3 of them! :dance:

First NEW purchase for the new tank should be here tomorrow!! :bounce1: