PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone

srizzutto
03/06/2015, 03:22 PM
Hi Everyone
My name is Steve I live in Mechanicsburg PA, two years ago I broke down my tank and sold everything. It was a beautiful 180g bow front. Mainly because nobody paid any attention to it but me and it took my time away from the kids.

Now guess what the kids want? an aquarium : ) I love the saltwater over freshwater, so Ill be doing another reef tank.

This was my favorite site to inhabit for questions and answers so I'm back.

i am going to go with a smaller display tank this time and try a different setup for easier water changes, adding water etc.

I have let quite a bit of my knowledge go and will be looking for some advice going forward.

I attached a pic of my old tank

ReefsandGeeks
03/06/2015, 03:31 PM
Welcome back! The advice I always give to new people, even though you're not brand new, is to check out local used tanks on local forums or craigslist. I wish I would have. I could have saved SO much money, or more likely gotten a much larger tank instead of the 40 I have now for the smae cost. Worth checking out if you don't have something very specific in mind. with the new finding Dory movie comming out, the kids might be begging you for a blue tang.

KabayanReef
03/06/2015, 05:12 PM
Welcome back to the world of salties Steve.

As for easier access to water changes. I suggest you invest in a huge water tank/container located at your basement or any room for storage and incorporate valves , pipes of all sorts running thru a neatly planned plumbing network to and from your aquarium. Possibly two tanks consisting of one RO/DI system water("clean" and rid of detrimental minerals) and another where you mix salt and aerate huge amounts of ready makeup water without having to worry about running out. My apologies if my suggestions seemed vague, i'm no where near as an expert on plumbing but it really is all about your imagination.

It may seem costly or hectic at first but IMO the idea above is effective, easy and time/energy saving in the long run. Tons of info are available online ("builds" if you will) , or simply observing youtube walkthroughs related to aquarium plumbing should be easily accesible.

Looking forward to hearing the best from you and welcome to reefcentral! Cheers!

nuxx
03/06/2015, 05:19 PM
Welcome :)

There are a lot of options for automatic water changes now. We're setting up a Neptune DoS to do ours.

srizzutto
03/06/2015, 07:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome back

My 180 was in my family room which is on a solid slab
I actually found a 75g with the stand on CL for $200, built in center overflow
Im thinking of setting this tank or whatever tank I find in my Living room, which is above the basement.
That way I can put the sump and Refugium (do we still use those?) in the basement.
I'm concerned with the size of return pump I will need though to achieve flow at a 12' head height+/-

I would like to go with a 55g sump and a 30g Refugium.

Stevenliu9
03/06/2015, 08:58 PM
the magic of saltwater aquarium. I can't tell you how many people "broke down" their tank and "got out" of the hobby only to find themselves "rebuild" shortly after. I had to sell my tank two separate occasions because of moving (to another country) and I always restart once I settle.

Scoted
03/06/2015, 10:08 PM
I just installed a mag drive 18 and it's more than enough to push 12' with a few reactors split off the return. An external pump would also give you a lot more options.

Johnson.cody
03/06/2015, 10:13 PM
I am dropping a line from the Reefing Bible
Commandment #1
1. Thou shall not track thy expenses.

You guys have to do the next 9 because because I can't think of anything.

srizzutto
03/07/2015, 07:48 AM
I am dropping a line from the Reefing Bible
Commandment #1
1. Thou shall not track thy expenses.

You guys have to do the next 9 because because I can't think of anything.

Good rule
I laugh when people ask me if I made money when I broke down and sold my 180.

It's actually amazing me how much I have to re learn

srizzutto
03/07/2015, 07:49 AM
I just installed a mag drive 18 and it's more than enough to push 12' with a few reactors split off the return. An external pump would also give you a lot more options.

Thanks
I'll check out that pump

Stevenliu9
03/07/2015, 10:23 AM
Mag drives are great, I have one for over 12 years and besides having to replace the propellers once it's still going strong in my 180.

Johnson.cody
03/07/2015, 11:27 AM
What protein skimmer do you plan on getting?

srizzutto
03/24/2015, 12:04 PM
I ended up getting the Reef Octopus 110 space saver. The dollars were right, it has a small footprint and I really trust the name
I think it will suit my needs for now
I'm already regretting not building my own stand so I have a bit more room underneath

Savant
03/24/2015, 12:19 PM
I ended up getting the Reef Octopus 110 space saver. The dollars were right, it has a small footprint and I really trust the name
I think it will suit my needs for now
I'm already regretting not building my own stand so I have a bit more room underneath

Only thing to be done now is buy a bigger tank/stand...maybe say 200GAL! that way you will have more room underneath yea, and you could use the 75 in the basement for maybe a frag tank or something, but you know you want a bigger tank after having a 180 yep :thumbsup: