PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to post but need feedback!

Michelem526
03/06/2015, 05:22 PM
Hi guys! Kinda new to this site so not really sure where to post but Im trying to get some feedback as to whether I'm headed in the right direction here. I have a 90 gal tank with 25lbs of buna ultra live rock (live rock n reefs) 25 lbs of dry reef saver rock from brs...30lbs of dry Fiji rock from brs and 25 lbs of shelf rock from another place(forget the name). After doing a lot of research I decided to acid bath the dry rock so I did minus the shelf rock. I then put that rock in a big tub of saltwater with a heater and a pump as well as the live rock in a separate container with a heater and pump. The guy from live rock n reef told me to put a bottle of bio spira in my tank when I set it up so I did do that once I got the rock in and the sand ( a mix from Carib sea). I even splurged for a RO DI so my water is completely RO DI on this tank now. I check my levels and my ammonia is a .25 my nitrite is a solid 5 and my nitrates are a 40. My question is this...is my cycle happening like it should?? I've read where the Ammonia spikes get very high and that's not happening here. It's been at a .25 for 5 days. My nitrite was originally a .25 and it's now a solid 5 so I'm just wondering if this is good or bad or if I need to do something else.

KabayanReef
03/06/2015, 05:40 PM
I replied to your question on my thread. I'm guessing its where you first asked your question.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23566003#post23566003

Simply go to the latest post.

gone fishin
03/06/2015, 05:58 PM
Sounds like you have started things on the right foot. I would add a shrimp from the deli or some pure ammonia to get the cycle going. I prefer to add enough ammonia to get around 3-4ppm. Then sit back and wait. just my 2 cents good luck.

Michelem526
03/06/2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for your input! I did read where a lot of people use a shrimp but I didn't know if I should do that or not. My ammonia is only a .25 now and has been stuck there for 5 days. My nitrites went from a .25 to a 5 and nitrate is at 40 but my worry was the ammonia level because it's not getting high.

gone fishin
03/06/2015, 06:12 PM
If you want a higher ammonia level then you need to add an ammonia source. This being the shrimp or the pure ammonia. The shrimp will decay in the tank producing the ammonia "feeding" the bacteria.

Michelem526
03/06/2015, 06:17 PM
So having a .25 is not a good start then I'm assuming for the cycle? I will add the shrimp to be sure the cycle goes like it should. In my other tank everything spiked high which is why I was concerned this time around. I did things a lot differently with this tank so the low levels grabbed my attention instantly.

gone fishin
03/06/2015, 06:22 PM
Since you had your rock in the totes you may have cycled the rocks. did you test while the rocks was in the totes. If your rocks are cycled then by adding an ammonia source they will consume the ammonia fairly quick and you may not see much of a rise.

Michelem526
03/06/2015, 06:32 PM
Yes I checked levels in the tote of live rock and the tote of dry rock. Ammonia in the the live rock never got past 5. Nitrites always showed low too as well as nitrates of less than 10. It was basically the same in the tote of dry rock except the nitrites were a 2.

gone fishin
03/06/2015, 06:37 PM
I would be inclined to think that you cured your rock, as a result you may not see much of an ammonia spike. To test that you can add some ammonia to 2 ppm if it is gone in a 24 hour period and all you have is some nitrates then it is a good indicator that your cycled.

Michelem526
03/06/2015, 06:39 PM
Ok I'll try and add some ammonia and see what happens. Thanks for your input I appreciate it!!

gone fishin
03/06/2015, 06:42 PM
No problem and good luck with your tank. If you go the pure ammonia route make sure it is pure no scents or surfacants added.