PDA

View Full Version : opinion needed about keeping live rocks

KabayanReef
03/07/2015, 03:00 AM
About a month ago I removed a huge piece of lr from my DT in hopes of rebuilding my scape with pvc fittings and what not. Keep in mind it has been cured and was in my tank for about 5months before removal. It's way too big for the sump so -- I placed it inside the rubbermaid container (30g) where I keep my Ro/di water and treat/mix my batch of saltwater. I have a submersible pump in it tokeep the water aerated as well.

So my questions would be:

Is it detrimental to the water quality having my LR sit inside said container?
Only check salinity and temp , and yes I still add this batch of makeup water to my DT, any problems (spikes of sorts or a mini cycle in the container) I should be worried about?

I had tests for both DT and backup water and the params seem to be on par (good quality). I should also clarify I treat it with Seachem prime and add Seachem reef complete, Seachem plus before adding to dt. A pair of stomatellas are actually chillin' on the LR atm :spin3:

Stevenliu9
03/07/2015, 10:25 AM
couple questions- was there anything "growing" on the LR you removed and do you have lighting over the tub? unless there are creatures drawing out and die off I don't see a problem

jminick2
03/07/2015, 10:34 AM
I don't see any issues as long as it doesn't smell awful then it should be fine.

KabayanReef
03/07/2015, 01:04 PM
couple questions- was there anything "growing" on the LR you removed and do you have lighting over the tub? unless there are creatures drawing out and die off I don't see a problem

I don't see any issues as long as it doesn't smell awful then it should be fine.

What I forgot to mention was, before mixing to preferred salinity count, I had my salinity level up to 1.040 or so. I read somewhere online that it effectively "kills" benthic lifeforms so to speak. It sat there for 6 hours if I remember correctly and sure enough , worms of sorts and even to my surprise a crab left the rock. Anyways, did I do it correctly (die-off)?

No growth from LR when I placed it in my batch of makeup water. As for the smell, I assume as long as it doesn't smell like rotten eggs(?), then it's all good.

But would be okay to bring it back to my DT? I plan to buy 30lbs of cured LR how risky/costly would a "mini cycle" be if I were to add it to my DT aswell?