PDA

View Full Version : QT - will it work?

WhiteTang
03/07/2015, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone!

After been "hit" twice by brooks & ich respectively, I decided to setup a 2,6g QT tank.
The reason i want to setup such a small QT tank is simple. If the fish show any symptoms of parasites / illness i want to be able to do a 100% water change on the spot. Given the small amount of water this will be a piece of cake.
of course salinity and temperature will match before each water change.
Also I will not need to spent any money on copper test kits and I will also be able to dose the exact same amount with every WC.

I will be using tap water to mix the salt. Since the tank will be completely bare, besides some plastic tubes big enough for the fish to hide, I don't think cyano or algae will be a problem.

The ONLY problem is that I read that I cannot use any water conditioner if treating fish with cupramine. Do you think it is OK to mix the salt with tap water and add the medication without first "conditioning" the tap water?

Dmorty217
03/07/2015, 12:11 PM
Really depends on the fish being QTed some won't like non RO water others won't mind it

gone fishin
03/07/2015, 01:44 PM
Also, some fish do not deal with copper well.

Sk8r
03/07/2015, 01:53 PM
^this.
And it's not only ich.
Here's how to solve what you're worried about, which is concentration and speed and exposure.
You can treat ich by 'tank transfer' or TT, by having 2 such tanks side by side and just moving them over, cleaning, repeat.
OTOH, you can determine dose on something like copper by having a dedicated ATO (autotopoff) which maintains the water level by adding fresh water teaspoon or so at a time. This assures that you will never have concentration or dilution, and you can maintain the same dose once, never having to change it.

julie180
03/07/2015, 04:24 PM
For that small of a water volume, why tank the chance with tap water? You want to give your fish the best chance of survival.

WhiteTang
03/07/2015, 08:13 PM
Really depends on the fish being QTed some won't like non RO water others won't mind it

Well, since I have a 16g DT the candidates are ocellaris, dottyback, cardinafish & wrasse. Of course not all of them but def 2 fish or max 3 in total.

WhiteTang
03/07/2015, 08:18 PM
For that small of a water volume, why tank the chance with tap water? You want to give your fish the best chance of survival.

Yes I do but I was thinking tap water since it will be much easier. I have a RO/DI system but it is a small SUPER SLOW one. I would need it to work 18h to get 40L out of it. Not very practical especially if you consider that I live in an apartment and the system CONNECTS only in the bathroom. I use this RO/DI system for tha ATO of my DT and DT water changes.