PDA

View Full Version : Filters vs protein skimmers

lilouisianagal
03/07/2015, 12:26 PM
Currently have aqueon HOB filters for both my tanks (FOWLR). I just ordered
Aquatic Life RO Buddie Three Stage Reverse Osmosis, 1 Hydor Koralia Nano 425 Aquarium Circulation Pump (425 GPH) for the 36 gallon and 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution 550/600 Aquarium Circulation Pump (550-600 GPH) for the 55 gallon, and a Tunze USA 3152.000 Automatic Top off Nano Osmolator for each tank.

Ouch.

Now one of my filters is starting to make a funny noise. So should I replace it when it dies? I've heard Fluval is a good brand, any others? Should I get a HOB, a canister, an underwater, or go with a protein skimmer? Kinda trying not to spend all the money.

GMay
03/07/2015, 12:30 PM
What is in your HOB filter?

I definitely would not get a canister filter. They are more work than you want to keep clean. If you don't keep them clean they can become a nitrate factory.

I don't use a skimmer, so I have no opinion.

Good Luck!

lilouisianagal
03/07/2015, 12:34 PM
Uh carbon?? I think.

Here's the description they give for the filter:
Stage 1: Dense floss removes particles and debris.
Stage 2: Activated carbon removes toxins, odors and discoloration.
Stage 3: Patented Bio-Holster removes toxic ammonia and nitrites.
Stage 4: Diffuser grid removes additional toxins while adding oxygen for more active fish. It also reduces splashing makes the return exceptionally quiet.

gone fishin
03/07/2015, 01:40 PM
I am guessing you got some live rock in both tanks. I personally would go with a skimmer over a filter.

Sams Reef
03/07/2015, 04:21 PM
+1 on skimmers

ReefsandGeeks
03/07/2015, 06:59 PM
+ 1 with a skimmer. both is nice, but if only getting 1 a skimmer would be my choice. easy maintainance and can remover more DOC, IMO. I have a canister and a HOB skimmer. I use the canister for filter floss, carbon, and some matrix for bacteria that I probably don't need but keep anyways. Canister filter needs to be cleaned at least every other week, takes about an hour to do a good job. 30 mins for a quick job from start to finish with clean up. Wish I had a sump but am waiting for my next tank upgrade. Plus with a skimmer you can dose vinegar/vodka which does wonders for nitrates and phospates as well.