PDA

View Full Version : CUC Quarantine Question

IvanTheTerrible
03/07/2015, 04:16 PM
OK, I've read through enough posts to know that their are various opinions regarding quarantining a CUC.

I've decided that I want to quarantine mine. Many say that six weeks is necessary to guarantee that an ich cyst is not stuck to a snail shell. My question is can I "quarantine" my CUC in the display tank if I don't plan to add fish for at least six weeks? Does it really matter if a dead ich cyst is in my sandbed?

What am I missing?

-Ivan

firemedix911
03/07/2015, 05:08 PM
If you want to put your CUC in your tank directly and you are willing to wait the 6 weeks then just go the extra mile and wait the full 10 weeks. You'll be good after that.

m0nkie
03/07/2015, 05:12 PM
if you put it in your DT... and there happened to be ich on the CUC, it will need the full 72 day fallow. so I would keep it fish free for the full 72 days instead of 42.

you are already taking an extra step QT cuc.. no point in cutting corner.

gone fishin
03/07/2015, 05:14 PM
^^^^+1

IvanTheTerrible
03/07/2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not trying to cut corners and take a risk here. I'm just trying to find out if it is possible to quarantine fish and inverts at the same time without buying another tank. Putting the CUC in the DT would free up the QT and let me put fish in sooner. Based on your responses, it sounds like my best bet is just to wait it out and do this in series.

-Ivan

3dees
03/08/2015, 10:15 AM
I have only snails for cuc. never qt. Reefcleaners site warns against qt. it's up to you, but I think sometimes we go a little overboard.

m0nkie
03/08/2015, 11:06 AM
John at reefcleaners told me his cuc tank does not have fish inside. So i assume his cuc should be ich free

Pigpen17
03/08/2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not trying to cut corners and take a risk here. I'm just trying to find out if it is possible to quarantine fish and inverts at the same time without buying another tank. Putting the CUC in the DT would free up the QT and let me put fish in sooner. Based on your responses, it sounds like my best bet is just to wait it out and do this in series.

-Ivan

I see your point, but this is how I view it. If you do QT in your fish free DT, then that will work fine, but then everytime you add a new CUC member or a new coral the clock will restart, therefore pushing back hte time you can add fish. If your going to do this, than I think you would need a dedicated tank so you can have a working DT and QT inverts at the same time.

Also, if your giong to do it, you might as well wait the full 72 days. If there is one thing that helps a new tank more than anything else, it's time.