PDA

View Full Version : Anemones and Anchovies?

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 06:21 PM
I know people feed anemones cut up pieces of shrimp, etc, but has anyone tried anchovies? As in, the frozen bait fish? I found some in the freezer, and for the sake of it I tried to give it a small piece just to see if it would latch on or take it. I added a clown fish today who chose to host it, and it rips the piece to bits, and tugs it away. The anemone and the clown fish seem to have a great bromance and respond well to each other, etc, but can't seem to get him to eat shrimp either. I'm wondering if the clown fish addition has him distracted, or if the clown fish is just being a butt and taking away the food?

Blue spot
03/07/2015, 06:27 PM
how big is this anemone. it is important to feed items the right size for it's mouth.

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 06:32 PM
Opened up, it's about 4 inches across. I've read conflicting information that hosted anemone will be fed by the clown fish itself (who chooses what goes in or out), and other sources say only if the clown came from the wild and acquired the habit of feeding anemone. Other places say the clown's movement in and out is enough(dragging food by disturbing the water I guess?), and other times the clown pooping in it is enough. Lot of diverse stuff that isn't real clear. I do know the clown is particularly interested in what goes into its home, but not sure if it's the food choices, or the clown just being overprotecting since it's a new home for the clown.

Blue spot
03/07/2015, 06:48 PM
lol. nothing is ever simple is it . I only had this happen once, so i just broke the food up into lots of little pieces 2 shrimps into like 10 pieces and doted it all over the nem, clown fish couldn't keep up so the nem got fed, not sure if this is the right answer but it worked for me and after about 2 weeks the clown didn't bother anymore, i feed mine twice a week 2 prawns one feed and a piece of fish finger the second (i do remove the breadcrumbs). probably not convetional but i have never lost a nem yet

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 06:54 PM
I forgot to mention, Orange-fin Clownfish, Sebae anemone. When the clown gets too cozy or rough "nuzzling in" the anemone closes on it, but the clown wont move more than 3 inches from it. The only time it vacates the anemone is when I scare it away to attempt feeding, or when it's "forced out." The Anemone seems to fan out to it's largest when the clown is outside of it, circle and rubbing against it's base out of the way. I try to vibrate a few pieces against a tentacle, but he's not biting (no pun intended). Could the clown have already fed him and I didn't notice, or will not all clowns do that kind of stuff? seems a whole different ballgame when it becomes hosted (amusing to watch, but annoying to get near the anemone. Clown is even "charging" dried shrimp that float too close to keep it away.

Blue spot
03/07/2015, 07:09 PM
is the sabae sticky to the touch ? I wouldn't worry to much sounds like they are just settling in, clownfish need to get coated in their anemone first , contrary to popular belief they are not automatically immune to the sting (you probably already know this) . if it's all looking healthy and not eating today, no biggie, try tomorrow .

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 07:31 PM
Yeah, he's sticky, and able to grab stuff, just chooses not to unless I touch him directly. Maybe I'm just concerned for no reason, I'll check him again tomorrow as you suggest. Thanks.

Salty Cracker
03/07/2015, 08:29 PM
When I had a nem I would use small bits of raw shimp and hand feed it. My trigger would steal it from the nem, and my two clowns would fight the trigger for the shrimp and run it back to the nem.

FraggledRock
03/07/2015, 09:26 PM
clowns usually feed nems with their poop.

also nems are mostly photosyntethic.