PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Emergency

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 09:07 PM
Earlier I had an issue with an anemone acting weird with a new clown fish I added to the tank, and feeding. All evening the clown fish has been circling the base, and "pushing" against the anemone instead of setting down in the tentacles. I noticed the anemone starting to wither (closing up, reducing in size, etc). It began to "lean," so I reached in and touched it, and discovered the "feet" had been ripped off. As in, instead of a cluster of sticky little tubes to attach to the rock, they had been ripped/unwound like a spring. Less than 50% remains, and they're hanging out to the side. It's still alive, but I have NO clue what to do.

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 09:21 PM
This is the damage, what came off, what's still attached.

sherief.elsayed
03/07/2015, 09:22 PM
What kind of anemone is it? I'm sorry to say this, but chances are the anemone won't survive. The foot is most crucial part of the anemone. What you could is buy it time. This had Worked for me, results may vary. I have a green carpet anemone, it's foot was accidentally torn while I was moving some Rockwork by accident. I turned off the flow in my tank completely, buried a decent sized hole in the sand bed, and left in there. I think due to low exposure of the foot kinda gives it some time to possible heal. It has been 6 months since that incident and business as normal.

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 09:22 PM
A Sebae

sherief.elsayed
03/07/2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah man sorry but judging by picture, it's deosnt look good. I would place it as I said and hope for the best. I have had sebae and they're relatively difficult to keep, had one that lasted for 5 months before it went. But that's when I started early in the hobby not knowing better. Sebae prefer sand so bury a hole and place it in there, and watch it very closely. It could possibly make it.

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 09:28 PM
I just put it in the sand, buried the lower half of its body. It's trying to open for the first time since it happened a half hour ago

sherief.elsayed
03/07/2015, 09:31 PM
That's good, it's kinda getting its footing and trying to adjust, just keep watch over it. As I'm sure your aware, they could wreck a tank but usually takes a while.

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 09:35 PM
Looking pretty feeble, but not dead yet. Still open, though the tentacles are barely moving. I'll keep a close eye on it, so it doesn't just die and fall apart and affect the rest of the tank. I'm hoping it can recover, but 50% of the foot came off, 25% is ripped and hanging, and 25% is still attached. What in the world could have happened? It was on a live rock, not near anything. Could the clown fish repeatedly "pushing" the base roughly have ripped the feet? It's what he's been doing all night before I saw the feet came off.

sherief.elsayed
03/07/2015, 09:37 PM
Anemones are very tricky in the sense that they have highs and lows. It's really hard to tell when they are on a strong decline. Unfortunately for me I realized it when it started deteriorating . Large water changes and lots of carbon followed to stabilize the tank. Post up a picture and we'll see were we go from here. I'm one of many people on this forum that had dealt with this breed of anemone that could also help

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 09:38 PM
He "flared" out his bottom half, and dragged it out of the sand, now laying in it's side. Apparently it doesn't want to be buried in the sand. What else can I try?

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 09:41 PM
The worst part is by pulling himself out of the sand, he left more of the foot behind, still in the sand holding him from falling fully over.

sav_lion
03/07/2015, 09:44 PM
Ok, this kind of creeps me out. He ripped off whatever was left, and now the bottom looks smooth and clean, with no indication of any tears or structure damage. Please tell me anemone can "shed" their feet...

tkeracer619
03/07/2015, 11:08 PM
Screwing with it isn't helping.

sherief.elsayed
03/07/2015, 11:37 PM
Ok, this kind of creeps me out. He ripped off whatever was left, and now the bottom looks smooth and clean, with no indication of any tears or structure damage. Please tell me anemone can "shed" their feet...

Not that I know of, just leave it be and hope for the best.