PDA

View Full Version : Sand Sifting Star

hossa81
03/07/2015, 10:33 PM
My 20 really needs one, two questions, is air exposure a problem? And also, will they die if their isn't enough food in the sand bed, or would it be happy if I supplemented feeding with like meaty stuff and seaweed?

Mcgeezer
03/07/2015, 10:38 PM
Transport from bag to tank is fine regarding air...but not too long. I never feed it...it just cleans up any leftover food on the sand bed.

1fstnsx
03/07/2015, 11:08 PM
mine just moves all over my tank eating everything on the sand. I transported it with no air in a full bag for 4 hrs, didnt have any problems.

jminick2
03/07/2015, 11:30 PM
it'll die in a 20 eventually.

30g
03/08/2015, 12:01 AM
they are supposed to be in like 90 gallon or larger I'm pretty sure......over a year old. They can starve if they're not. I have a 75g and was told not to get one plus I don't have enough empty sand areas. I don't know how a 20g could have enough sand to keep it alive. If you want a starfish get a red fromia from blue zoo aquatics

billdogg
03/08/2015, 07:27 AM
they are supposed to be in like 90 gallon or larger I'm pretty sure......over a year old. They can starve if they're not. I have a 75g and was told not to get one plus I don't have enough empty sand areas. I don't know how a 20g could have enough sand to keep it alive. If you want a starfish get a red fromia from blue zoo aquatics

I agree with the above. You might also take a look at serpent stars. They can be very active, especially during feeding time. A sand sifter will decimate the sandbed of a much larger system in short order, then, over a period of weeks/months, starve to death. Best left in the ocean.

jm.02

Dmorty217
03/08/2015, 08:11 AM

They recommend 1 per 180g... Have a buddy that had one in a 125g and it did well for 6 months. When he setup his 250g and moved it over it died within a week

Scubaken
03/08/2015, 10:07 AM
I have had my e for over 4 years, took him out of a 93cube and into a 350 2 years ago, I over feed 3 days a week to give all my critters a feast, I also do t feed the entire tank for 5 days each month, I find this helps keep the substrate clean and also assists with the removal of those hard worms and aphasia amongst other stuff.
I have always done this. My sand sifter is about 5 inches now end to end and nice and thick, I also have a huge blue starfish who is always laying all over the rocks, I also have 6 peppermint shirmp who keep on to of the aptasia and debris from the feeding.
I also feed fresh shrimp and or crab once a week. That the fish nibble at, but the critters love.

SavingOurSeas
03/08/2015, 11:47 AM
I have had my e for over 4 years, took him out of a 93cube and into a 350 2 years ago...

Now that's pretty cool ^_^