PDA

View Full Version : Sump'in I've been thinking about...

mmittlesteadt
03/08/2015, 09:38 AM
I'm not going to have a sump under my 40 gallon breeder tank. I've talked with some expert friends and read a lot about the benefits of a sump, but in my situation I think I will be fine without one.

I have an Eshopps PSK-100 HOB skimmer so I'll have a pretty substantial skimmer in use. I also plan on using a power filter although not really for mechanical or biological filtration (live rock and sand should do the biological filtering) but rather if I need to use activated carbon or phosphate absorbing, etc. It will also add more current in the tank, although the outlet of the skimmer and a separate powerhead will also be employed. I will be utilizing an RODI for my water.

Any other reason I'd need a sump that I can't already get by without one?

Just curious.

whosurcaddie
03/08/2015, 09:43 AM
More water volume makes your parameter swings smaller keeping the tank more stable. The water level in the tank always remains constant while evap happens in the sump. Display looks cleaner because all equipment is stored underneath.

You can keep a successful tank without a sump, having one just makes it easier.

mmittlesteadt
03/08/2015, 10:02 AM
More water volume makes your parameter swings smaller keeping the tank more stable. The water level in the tank always remains constant while evap happens in the sump. Display looks cleaner because all equipment is stored underneath.

You can keep a successful tank without a sump, having one just makes it easier.

Yeah, I'm aware that the larger the volume of water, the more stable it will be. And true, I will have to keep up with topping off. You won't be able to see any of the equipment (canopy), and most of the things like tubes, heaters, etc. inside the tank will be (for the most part) hidden by the aquascaping.

I can understand the reasons for a sump and I did consider it, but my stand is not very generous underneath as far as room to work. Down the road, if I move on to a bigger tank with a bigger stand, I'd certainly consider it.

As far as being easier...well, if I wanted easy I would have just stayed with freshwater. ;)

whosurcaddie
03/08/2015, 11:59 AM
I hear ya.

Timfish is a regular poster on here he has a beautiful tank without a sump. He might pop in here and post some pictures.

mandarin_goby
03/08/2015, 12:41 PM
Freshwater isn't *that* easy.

I, too, didn't want a simp at first but after a year sumpless, I'm glad I added one. I love the extra space for rock, equipment and mangroves.

mmittlesteadt
03/08/2015, 12:52 PM
Freshwater isn't *that* easy.

I, too, didn't want a simp at first but after a year sumpless, I'm glad I added one. I love the extra space for rock, equipment and mangroves.

I've been keeping freshwater for 35 years, which have included fully planted tanks, Large Cichlid breeding tanks, Discus, Altum Angel tanks, all full biotope tanks, etc. I know they aren't easy, but compared to reef requirement, they tend to be easier.

I just don't really have room for one...at least enough room to make it less of a hassle than running without one. Not that I wouldn't like one if I had the space.

mandarin_goby
03/08/2015, 01:23 PM
I just set up co2 on my freshwater 75 planted - what a nightmare balancing ferts, lighting and co2 output :/

I will say my tank still looked great without a sump, so no real worries there. It was more for convenience for me with the added bonus of more volume.

mmittlesteadt
03/08/2015, 02:10 PM
I just set up co2 on my freshwater 75 planted - what a nightmare balancing ferts, lighting and co2 output :/

I will say my tank still looked great without a sump, so no real worries there. It was more for convenience for me with the added bonus of more volume.

Yeah, I hear you on the planted freshwater!

This is only my second reef tank in all these years of freshwater. The last reef was alright...more fish than coral though...until I got a wonderful mantis shrimp grow up in my live rock.