PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing 2x 29 gallon tanks together.

synder4786
03/08/2015, 09:38 AM
Hello folks, my name's Mike, new to the hobby, new to the forum.

I've done some research, so I probably know just enough to be dangerous, hence why I'm coming in here to have you fine folks check my work and tell me if I'm way off base with my plans here. :bigeyes:

So, basically, due to space constraints, the best I've been able to do with my apartment (and my wife!) is to obtain 2x 29 gallon tanks. I have a stand where one sits above the other.

I would like to, in the interest in increasing the volume of water in the system and thus, stability (not to mention convenience of having to monitor one tank as opposed to two) plumb the two 29's together.

I've put together a very crude diagram of where I plan to drill my tanks, and the basic direction of waterflow between them. I want to minimize any chances of failure/flooding as much as I can.

http://imgur.com/rVdRVox

The idea was to drill both of the tanks, have the right side holes function as a 'gravity return' from the top tank to the bottom. And the left to function as my line to pump water from the bottom tank back to the top.

My hopes for the top tank is going to be (eventually after all work is done, water ready, etc) for corals and a couple fish. My plan for the bottom tank is still in flux, I'm open, but hesitant to the idea of a refugium, but would like to if at all possible, have something nice to look at down there, too. Not necessarily corals.

I have purchased (what I hope to be) the bulk of the materials I need for this, will be built with a combination of PVC and reinforced vinyl tubing.

My questions:

Will this work?
Points of failure to look out for/prevent?
Suggestions for improvement on this idea?
What are the possibilities for the 'upper' tank?
What are the possibilities for the 'lower' tank?

Please let me know if you need any further information.
Thank you all in advance for your consideration here!