PDA

View Full Version : Sump help

seabs106
03/08/2015, 10:26 AM
I am new to saltwater aquariums and need a little help with my sump. I have a 75 gallon tank with an Eshopps R-100 sump, a Reef Octopus 110sss protein skimmer and a Sicce Syncra 4.0 return pump. The return pump can be adjusted from 608 gph to 951. I also bought the Aqueon megaflow overflow kit for my drain and return. The tank has been up and running for a week with live rock, sand and 2 clowns.

So now to the issues...

About once an hour I get the rushing sound of water draining through the overflow. The current drain pipe goes into a sock which is just overflowing at the top the whole time. I have the return pump at the minimum, if I put it any higher it makes the rushing sound about every 10 seconds. The protein skimmer either produces too many bubbles that it is just water that fills the container or if I turn it down it never gets enough of a head to pull anything out. I know there is a break in period but shouldn't it be better after week? Also it shows on the adjusting handle a max and a min, however if I turn it towards max the bubbles go down and then towards min it goes up.

I'm assuming this isn't an easy solution but I greatly appreciate all your help!

mechanix23
03/08/2015, 02:00 PM
Make sure the drain to your sump is down in a straight path no upturns. You may also install a herbie siphon in your overflow. Search for "how to silence an HOB overflow" on YouTube.

bklynreef123
03/08/2015, 04:57 PM
I had a similar issue and made the air hole in the siphon larger. It is not as quiet as I would like. I am running a Synchra 3.0 and have it turned all the way down if I turn it up I have the same issue. A friend of mine recommended adding a valve to the drain line above the sock.