PDA

View Full Version : Next week I will be taking the dive into reef aquariums

Om3gatyp3
03/08/2015, 05:46 PM
Hello all, after a long time of planning, research and talking it over with the ole lady. I have finally decided to go for it, next weekend I should "fingers crossed" be heading up to my not so close LFS to pick out a tank and all my equipment. Now, here is the problem I am having. I have decided on a 150 gallon, but... I cannot decide on which one I like best. Cube, tall or long. Also, I am not sure on a shallow sandbed, DSB or DSB in the refugium. Here is where I need everyones help. Please list off the pros and cons of each, what you like and dislike about them. I like it all, but I am stuck at which I want to go with. Thank you in advance and I cannot wait to share my experiences with all of you!

Goldndoodle
03/08/2015, 05:52 PM
For the display tank (DT) - your fish wish list will tell you which tank to buy ... For instance if you ultimately want a Blue Hippo Tang you're going to want the long tank - Blue Hippo Tangs are "runners" and need lots of tank length the be happy (instead of grumpy and aggressive).

Build your system around what you ultimately want - don't let your system limit what you can have.

Welcome to the addiction! Say good-bye to your savings account!!

SammyL
03/08/2015, 06:18 PM
#1 Welcome
#2 I perfer a long tank so I can keep tangs
#3 I am not into DSB
#4 Take your time, this is a hobby of patience

Harbour
03/08/2015, 06:45 PM
Shallower tanks in whatever you choose means your lights will have better penetration to the lower parts of your tank. Could mean a cheaper light combination is money is an issue.

Harbour

delor-02
03/08/2015, 08:37 PM
Read, research, read, and more research! Also, remember, there are MANY different opinions on the best way to do things. What works for one doesn't always work for others. Just be respectful of others opinions.

Last thing to remember, go slow. The only things that happen quickly in this hobby are bad things!

stingeragent
03/08/2015, 08:44 PM
Agreed on shallow tank. I have a standard size 55gal and even with me being 6'1" its a pain to get your arm all the way to the bottom. +2 to lights being easier with shallower tank. Longer shallower tanks can also be easier to aquascape. If you get a cube or tall, you gotta plan upwards. I've only had a shallow sand bed but haven't had problems with it. On that topic I bet you can find 10 million for DSB and 10 million against.

FraggledRock
03/08/2015, 09:41 PM
research research research

followed by:

plan plan plan

followed by:

prepare prepare prepare

followed by

check check check

followed by :

CAUTIOUS IMPLEMENTATION.

then start your tank =P

Kentech5
03/08/2015, 09:55 PM
Shallow and long for the tank. Tangs, nice viewing area, and save (slightly) on lights.

pyithar
03/08/2015, 10:24 PM
here's what i think:

tall tank = more aquascaping options (pillar aquascape., etc)
long tank= more fish options ( tangs swim a lot )
disply ssb= some people like the looks of sand, good for sand burrowing fishes
barebottom= for people who dont like sand, who need plenty of flow/wave in tank, especially sps keepers
display dsb= i think it helps lower the nitrates, good for sand burrowing fish, looks of sand, but not easy to clean ( you can't disturb the sandbed), so some say time bomb, need to change dsb after a few years, hard work taking out the sand if you don't like it anymore then hydrogen sulfide might be released
fuge dsb= good if large enough and if you have enough flow, if low flow, detritus will settle, pods' home, hard work taking out the sand, risk of hydrogen sulfide release, nitrate spike
look into remote dsb if you're into dsb. it's the dsb in a bucket method. you could take it offline easily if you don't like it.

just my opinions. good luck. :)