PDA

View Full Version : Hard growth on glass

Silvergryphon
03/08/2015, 11:57 PM
So here is something I've not come across before. Between work and everything else I've not been keeping up on scraping and cleaning my glass. In two spots I had something grow that I can't quite recognize. At first I thought it was some form of leather because the polyp extension looked like a shorter version of my devil's hand leather, but when I tried to scrap it it was hard like a plating monti. It has a yellow/green base with brown polyps that extend out further than what you usually see from an SPS, but it doesn't match anything else I have in the tank. The skeleton you can see through the glass has a kinda honeycombed look to it. Do I just have some oddball SPS going here or could it be something else? I will try to get a picture of it today when the lights come on, but the angle it is at will be hard to get a good shot.

Thoughts?

alexander_ktn
03/09/2015, 03:40 AM
Without an image it's hard to say, but it might well be a stony coral. Some poritids or astrocoeniids come into the tank as live rock hitchhikers occasionally.

Silvergryphon
03/09/2015, 04:31 PM
Lets see if these work, it is the Brown and yellow above the snails. Best pictures I could get as these are on the side glass and I have to angle the shot through the front of the tank.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt357/QuickSilverGryphon/SAM_0328.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt357/QuickSilverGryphon/SAM_0329.jpg

alexander_ktn
03/09/2015, 04:42 PM
It's a stony coral but from that picture it's not possible to say what it is exactly - I'd guess a poritid, but it's a guess...

Silvergryphon
03/09/2015, 06:00 PM
Baffles me where it came from. Only encrusting SPS I have is a baby blue polyp capricornis, and a green polyp encrusting montipora. Nothing else looks even remotely close to these. Very interesting, I'll have to watch them and see how they come out. Unfortunately at some point I will have to get them off the glass as the spots the two pieces are at will eventually block the view.

Silvergryphon
03/09/2015, 06:03 PM
Yeah after googling encrusting porites I came across some pictures that match it pretty darn close. Makes me curious on what they hitch hiked in on, until recently I hadn't added anything new and these were already there by then.

alexander_ktn
03/10/2015, 12:24 PM
Time will tell - once it gets its characteristic growth form we will know more.