PDA

View Full Version : Planeria flatworms fight them naturally or FWE?

Lizzy_lray
03/09/2015, 06:54 AM
So I have an outbreak of flatworms should go natural and add a nudibranch and my six line wrasse to take care of it or should I use flat worm exit? They are super tiny right now so do I need to worry about the toxin release or is that just certain flatworm species? They are so small I can't even get a picture of them. I used a magnifying glass to figure out what they were.

FraggledRock
03/09/2015, 07:25 AM
get as much as you can manually, then use the exit.

you gotta up the water changes after though since they can release toxins.

putting a nudibranch may cause other issues.

Dmorty217
03/09/2015, 08:16 AM
get as much as you can manually, then use the exit.

you gotta up the water changes after though since they can release toxins.

putting a nudibranch may cause other issues.

+1 you should use the exit and then dose exit again a day or two later... Flat worms are rarely all killed by one dose of the flatworm exit. Depending on your problem I doubt the sixline will do much to rid you of the problem

Lizzy_lray
03/09/2015, 09:07 AM
Thank you! I hate using the chemical method but I understand the need. Are flatworms a common issue?

FraggledRock
03/09/2015, 09:23 AM
Thank you! I hate using the chemical method but I understand the need. Are flatworms a common issue?

somewhat common.

i would say its the ich equivalent for corals =/

ca1ore
03/09/2015, 12:13 PM
Depends a bit on the type of flatworm. If the red planaria worms then they can be a real problem and I'd get rid of them ASAP. I have not had the greatest luck with FWE, so in my main display I employ a Dusky Wrasse that keeps the tank clear. In my invert QT, I used FWE but had to dose three times to get rid of them.

billdogg
03/09/2015, 02:29 PM
I have a green coris wrasse that has found better things to eat, and I, too, am reluctant to use chemicals. I'm seriously thinking about having my LFS order me in a Blue Velvet Nudibranch. From what I've read, they are obligate flatworm eaters, so when the tank is clear I'll be looking for someone local to pass it on too.

jbvdhp
03/09/2015, 03:15 PM
FWE is amazingly good. When I was upgrading, I had the live rocks in bins, dosed the heck out of the bins to kill all the fw. It was getting so bad that they would just cover my yumas and look ugly, now I am brown planeria free, but think I may have acoels.

It worked for me.

Stackemdeep
03/09/2015, 08:26 PM
Interesting thread. At one time I saw evidence of some flatworm damage to a couple of my acros. Over a year ago I stocked a yellow coris and a melanurus wrasse. I also began blowing corals when I blew off my rocks. I can't say that I have ever been able to actually find a flatworm while there may be some in the tank(?) I have always believed that natural depredation is important to keep any pest under control and for protection if such a pest is re-introduced to the the reef. The law of unintended consequences has taught me to avoid using chemical solutions. That said, I know that FWE is a proven quality product.

inthedeep2
03/09/2015, 10:15 PM
try your local reef clubs or even lfs and see if you could barrow a mandarin it whipped my flatworms out within 3 weeks and I had them all over.

Reef Frog
03/09/2015, 10:44 PM
I found the red ones congregated in areas of low flow and mulm. I siphoned out what I could, removed the mulm that I could and improved flow with a broad flow DC powerhead. Problem solved without chemicals or adding animals I really didn't want in the first place.

In aquariums and when cultivating plants, I like to try the least invasive and most natural remedies available, moving on to more elaborate or non organic methods only when necessary. Just my view. Good luck with your choice.

lhm nole
03/09/2015, 10:54 PM
I siphoned every day almost for 3 months cleaned all the detritus increased flow added a melanarus wrasses and going on a year now have not seen a single one.