PDA

View Full Version : Failing skimmer

Kerryn
03/09/2015, 11:16 AM
Hello!

While not new to keeping freshwater fish, this is my first saltwater reef tank and I'm absolutely -loving- it! I've had my tank up for four months now, fish in it for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. But I'm an absolute newbie about this stuff, I read everything I can get my hands on about the subject, but reading doesn't always equate to experience, which I don't have. So I have come here for some advice.

Specs:
28 gallon bow front
Live sand - 25 pound
live rock - 32 pounds
Hang on back skimmer
2 clowns
1 lawnmower blenny
2 fire goby's
and of course a CUC of assorted snails and a hermit crab as well as a Skunk cleaner shrimp.
No corals or anything of that nature, still to new of a tank for such things. But eventually!

No sump or refuge. However, being delivered in 4 days is a HOB Aquafuge with skimmer.

The issue I'm having however is my current skimmer that has worked for four months, it's failing. Not producing as many bubbles even when I have the air valve all the way open. There's just a trickle of bubbles. I plan to pull it out here in a bit and see if there's something stopping up the intake.

On top of this... I'm going out of town tomorrow morning on a trip that was planned a year ago. I cannot cancel it. My husband will be staying home and will take over feeding the fish. But asking him to install the new skimmer that will be arriving in four days is beyond something he's comfortable with. He's absolutely terrified of doing something wrong and killing my fish. I will be returning in 5 days.

My question is... what can I feasibly do to keep everything in my tank alive, till I return and can set up the aquafuge and new skimmer?

Can my fish survive without a skimmer for 5 days? When I return, I can do water changes and set up everything. (Provided UPS doesn't take longer with shipping, it was ordered last week. I didn't see a need to overnight or rush delivery because my skimmer was working. Thanks Murphy.)

Sk8r
03/09/2015, 11:22 AM
Skimmer's not essential, short term.
My advice with an unskilled tank sitter is to mark a water line on your glass in grease pencil (eyebrow pencil) and tell him if the water isn't there, there's a problem because of evaporation and to fill only from THIS bucket until it's up to that line. [That handles salinity and evaporation issues.] Tell him to feed ONE of these packets daily. [Have it pre-measured.] Tell him to look at the thermometer reading and make sure it's between these two numbers. And tell him phone you if he has any questions. Deal with the skimmer after you get home.

Skimmers have to be cleaned now and again: they do clog. Take it out, set it in a pan of pure white vinegar (no flavoring) ---get it cheap at Costco---and run it and its pump in the vinegar for 12 or so hours. Don't even worry about rinsing it, but DO empty the skimmer of vinegar!!!!!before putting it back in operation in your tank! (While tanks actually 'like' a little vinegar on occasion, do be careful to dump it'! )

Kerryn
03/09/2015, 11:26 AM
Thank you! I can now enjoy my trip without worrying about my tank.

gone fishin
03/09/2015, 12:37 PM
What Sk8r said. Good luck and have fun on your trip.