PDA

View Full Version : Reef Octopus Regal 150-sss

rscotti
03/09/2015, 01:56 PM
Anyone using this skimmer? If yes how do you like it?

rscotti
03/10/2015, 12:02 PM
So no one has one?

smedlin
03/10/2015, 12:26 PM
I JUST got one. Came in on Friday afternoon..

Instructions sucked donkey's. But it's not rocket science to put it together (I kept looking at the box it came in, to see finished picture.)

Also didn't come with any type of user manual. But again.. not rocket science.

Saturday I gave it a vinegar bath and let it run (in vinegar RO/DI water) for several hours. Than washed it off with soap, and let it run in plain RO/DI water for awhile...

I set it up Sunday morning, and it took no time at all to "break in" (which is what the vinegar bath is for..)

I REALLY like it. It's SUPER quiet. Even with the pump almost all the way up (4), i can't hear it.

Speaking of the pump, I really like the fact it's DC. You can speed it up, slow it down, etc.

the control module has a "pause" button (that you can set for how long it pauses). I have it set for 60 minutes. So, when i feed the fishes, I hit the pause button, and it restarts a hour later.

A couple of times, while it was sitting in my sink, I must not have had the drain plug in all the way, cause the sink eventually drained with water. Instead of burning itself up, the DC pump simply shut off. I added water back into the sink, and the pump started back up.. all on it's own.

Below is a pic i took Sunday.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll270/bsmedlin/reef%20tank/20150308_151823_zpsyvqi6ega.jpg

(yes, i've already been told I should get rid of the bio-balls. I had no ideal.. )

rscotti
03/10/2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks, what size tank do you have?

smedlin
03/10/2015, 02:52 PM
thanks, what size tank do you have?

150g.

Mishri
03/10/2015, 03:33 PM
fish only, or softies tanks can run just fine with bio-balls... I wouldn't bother getting rid of them unless you were looking into more challenging corals.

ebeez
11/14/2015, 01:38 PM
Hi, I just installed the Regal 150sss with no problem however, when I reduced the current by pressing the - button the motor slowed, when I press the + button the motor will not speed up? What am I missing?