PDA

View Full Version : is putting a nem in QT necessary

hotelbravo
03/09/2015, 02:05 PM
Ive been reading around for a while ive seen some people against using a qt on an anemone and others all for it. If I dont use a qt what is the worst that could happen?

addictedreefer
03/09/2015, 02:38 PM
IMO, QT should only be used in two cases:

(1) Where you suspect that your newly acquired nem is sick and that treatment will likely be necessary.

(2) Where you already have healthy anemone(s) in the DT of the same or similar species as the newly acquired nem. In that case, you QT the new addition to prevent spreading the pathogen to the existing nems.

Other than these two scenarios, I am a firm beleiver that a QT will only do more harm than good because they can never be a true substitute for a healthy established DT.

zooman72
03/09/2015, 02:42 PM
IMO, QT should only be used in two cases:

(1) Where you suspect that your newly acquired nem is sick and that treatment will likely be necessary.

(2) Where you already have healthy anemone(s) in the DT of the same or similar species as the newly acquired nem. In that case, you QT the new addition to prevent spreading the pathogen to the existing nems.

Other than these two scenarios, I am a firm beleiver that a QT will only do more harm than good because they can never be a true substitute for a healthy established DT.

I would have to agree to the synopsis noted here, and would add that even if you determine you are not going to employ at QT initially, you may want to have one prepped just in case things "go south"...

hotelbravo
03/09/2015, 03:10 PM
Okay so in that case is a haddoni and a RBTA closely related or are they distant enough to not worry? Im wanting a haddoni and I have a very healthy RBTA

m0nkie
03/09/2015, 03:53 PM
IMO.. I think with any carpet anemone, you should prepare a QT just in case, unless it's been sitting in the previous tank for awhile. Most carpets shipped (or just brought to store) are pretty beat up.. at least have QT material and Cipro on hand.

hotelbravo
03/09/2015, 04:59 PM
My lfs told me they would hold it for me for a few days I was thinking of doing this to monitor how it was doing before bringing it home and adding it straight to my dt. They have had alot of healthy looking carpets for sell lately