PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9001 Surface Skimmer Problems

foxface_lo
03/09/2015, 05:02 PM
Hello,

To everyone that owns or uses a Tunze 9001 in their nano systems for 4+ months, I implore you to provide some opinions or experiences with this protein skimmers functionality.

I bought one of these little guys several months ago, and am seeing a decrease in performance, in particular the surface skimming. I use the surface skimming attachment tubes and it never, ever fails to suck in waaaay too much air down the tube into the Tunze pump or foamer, causing a loud gurgling sound. At this point, all protein skimming fails as well. This happens at a random time during the day but always after a week of use.

I have an ATO and maintains the water level quite well, at least within 2-3mm, so I suppose its safe to say the skimmer design is flawed.

I had the assumption that a snail or cowrie may have crawled inside the skimmer that it hindered water flow through the pump but actually saw a trochus snail in there once, and didn't cause any adverse effects, PLUS I just freshly cleaned out the uninhabited skimmer today when the problem reoccured.

Anyways, I really don't know what's causing this surface skimming failure on this great skimmer and if anyone can suggest fixes or opinions and perhaps recommend me to another "surface skimmer + protein skimmer," the single bane of my nano can be eliminated. I keep in close contact with Roger Vitko, and he suggested that I use the head of an EHEIM surface skimmer to the tube, but details remain obscure, and also I don't want to buy another product to use for a product that should be doing its job properly, PLUS the equipment needed to make the EHEIM skimmer head actually fit on the Tunze 9001.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

foxface_lo
03/10/2015, 11:39 PM
Anyone?
Surely someone here has a Tunze 9001 Skimmer.

mkj
03/13/2015, 02:04 PM
I have one but I don't use the surface skimmer it makes the skimmer to wide for my AIO.